Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Do we just need flavor and tactics, then?

I guess I'd start with a variant of the kappa-ti's tactics:

A vampiric kappa is a cunning combatant. It uses its spells to bewilder and weaken opponents, then delights in grappling and draining blood from its opponents. Vampiric kappa try to take opponents by surprise. This may be as simple as leaping from the water, but they may use disguise self to appear as a harmless fisherman, or conceal their approach with an obscuring mist or invisibility spell.

Vampiric kappa are not cowardly, but spurn needless risk to their own lives. They prefer to ambush lone travelers, and rarely attack groups without trying to split them up first. A vampiric kappa will readily retreat if it meets effective resistance, but may return to attack again once its fast healing heals its wounds, thereby wearing down tough foes. It is wise enough to give up and seek easier prey if an opponent proves too powerful for it.

Vampiric kappa are known to prey on their common kappa and kappa-ti cousins.

Cleon

Legend
Do we just need flavor and tactics, then?

I guess I'd start with a variant of the kappa-ti's tactics:

A vampiric kappa is a cunning combatant. It uses its spells to bewilder and weaken opponents, then delights in grappling and draining blood from its opponents. Vampiric kappa try to take opponents by surprise. This may be as simple as leaping from the water, but they may use disguise self to appear as a harmless fisherman, or conceal their approach with an obscuring mist or invisibility spell.

Vampiric kappa are not cowardly, but spurn needless risk to their own lives. They prefer to ambush lone travelers, and rarely attack groups without trying to split them up first. A vampiric kappa will readily retreat if it meets effective resistance, but may return to attack again once its fast healing heals its wounds, thereby wearing down tough foes. It is wise enough to give up and seek easier prey if an opponent proves too powerful for it.

Vampiric kappa are known to prey on their common kappa and kappa-ti cousins.

The sample Vampiric Kappa doesn't have invisibility. I'd cut the reference to them preying on Kappa-Ti, since those are stronger than Vampiric Kappa.

Thus:

A vampiric kappa is a cunning combatant. It uses its spells to bewilder and weaken opponents, then delights in grappling and draining blood from its opponents. Vampiric kappa try to take opponents by surprise. This may be as simple as leaping from the water, but they may use disguise self to appear as a harmless fisherman, or conceal their approach with an obscuring mist spell.

Vampiric kappa prey on any living creature weak enough to overpower, including their common kappa cousins.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I guess just something pretty similar to the other kappas, just perhaps that they're a bit meaner and cannabilistic.

Cleon

Legend
I guess just something pretty similar to the other kappas, just perhaps that they're a bit meaner and cannabilistic.

from being taller and having glowing red eyes, their original description says they differ little from Common Kappa.

Let's see...

A scaly, hunchbacked creature, small as a halfling, with eyes that glow with red fire. Its scaly body has a sinewy ape-like build and a shell on its back like a turtle. The head is wide and smooth like a river-polished stone, with a shallow, bowl-like depression on top that seems to be full of water. Its face is dominated by a long nose and a wide mouth full of hooked fangs. The being's three-toed feet are webbed, while its hands are more manlike apart from the long, razor-sharp talons.

Vampiric kappa are similar in habits to common kappa, except they are far more predatory. They feed off blood, and will prey on any living creature weak enough to overpower, including their common kappa cousins. They are loners by nature, seldom living in families with their brood, although they may dwell with a mate.

A vampiric kappa stands 3 feet tall and weighs about 40 pounds.

Kappas speak Common and their own language.

COMBAT

A vampiric kappa is a cunning combatant. It uses its spells to bewilder and weaken opponents, then delights in grappling and draining blood from its opponents. Vampiric kappa try to take opponents by surprise. This may be as simple as leaping from the water, but they may use disguise self to appear as a harmless fisherman, or conceal their approach with an obscuring mist spell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases