Special Defenses: Nil
Magic Resistance: Standard
Intelligence: High
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Size: S
Psionic Ability: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil
Level/X.P Value: III/60 +4 per hp

This creature is a birdlike humanoid. It has the feathered wings of a bird and the body of a man. Although it only has stubby fingers on its wings, the toes of the creature are long and prehensile, able to handle items with great skill. The alan lives deep in the heart of tropical and sub-tropical forests.

The alan prefers to avoid combat, relying on its wings to make quick strikes and sudden escapes. Its favorite form of attack is to hang by its toes from the branches over a trail, dropping on its victims as they pass underneath. When attacking this way, the alan surprises on a roll of 1-4 on 1d6. Whenever possible, alans try to fight on the wing, striking with their clawed feet or a spear gripped in their toes. When fighting with a spear while in flight, a successful hit causes double normal damage. When fighting while flying, the alan can only make one attack per round. When fighting on the ground, the alan either batters with its wings or fights with a spear held in its toes. However, when using a weapon, the alan is limited to one attack per melee round.

The alan is highly intelligent and clever. It speaks the language of its race and the languages of human inhabitants living in or near its territory. The alan has little contact with man, but it is generally friendly and occasionally helpful when encountered. However, some have been known to be hostile, attacking lone travelers or raiding villages in the night. They are also known to be mischievous, resorting to pranks and tricks on unwary hunters. They live in small, ornately fashioned treehouses hidden in the branches of large trees. A lair typically has three to five such houses hidden in a single tree. Guards will be posted in nearby trees, hanging batlike from the higher branches. Once enemies are sighted, the guards fly back to the main tree, alerting all who reside there. If the intruders do not directly threaten the lair, the alans prefer to remain in hiding until the party is past. Should the
intruders climb or threaten the tree, the alans wait until the enemy is in a disadvantageous position
(climbing in the branches, etc.,) before swooping in to attack.

Originally appeared in Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (1988).

Cleon

Legend

Hmm, looks like we should be able to borrow something from the 3E versions of the Tengu and Aaracokra.

Looks like it can attack with claw, a spear, or wing-buffets. It looks the 1-4/1-4 in its attack line is either two claw attacks or two wing attacks.

The "when fighting while flying, the alan can only make one attack per round" bit says it should only have 1 claw attack when flying, but I'd far rather give it two.

We should consider giving it some kind of "drop" special attack, since that seems to be its favourite means of assault.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The "when fighting while flying, the alan can only make one attack per round" bit says it should only have 1 claw attack when flying, but I'd far rather give it two.

Agreed. Maybe just not great aerial combat feats.
We should consider giving it some kind of "drop" special attack, since that seems to be its favourite means of assault.
In principle, I could see doing that. But even the darkmantle doesn't have a drop attack, even though that's its MO. I'm not sure about it here.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed. Maybe just not great aerial combat feats.

In principle, I could see doing that. But even the darkmantle doesn't have a drop attack, even though that's its MO. I'm not sure about it here.

Well considering something doesn't mean we have to do it!

So, Strength and Constitution 10-11?

Pretty high Dexterity - maybe Dex 16-17 to account for all the non-size AC, but I'd not object to Dex 14-15 and +1 NA.

Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 13?

Remove ads