Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, it's ok with me to ignore the price entirely.

Cribbing from the dragon:
Frightful Presence (Ex): The General can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the General attacks. Creatures within a radius of 10 feetare subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the General. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a DC X Will save remains immune to the General's frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Red text is because I'm not sure a 1 HD or less limit is going to be very interesting for his likely CR. So the question is whether we keep or change that text.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, it's ok with me to ignore the price entirely.

Cribbing from the dragon:
Frightful Presence (Ex): The General can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the General attacks. Creatures within a radius of 10 feetare subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the General. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a DC X Will save remains immune to the General's frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Red text is because I'm not sure a 1 HD or less limit is going to be very interesting for his likely CR. So the question is whether we keep or change that text.

If I remember Oriental Adventures correctly, the original power could be activated at will without any effort - presumably the high level samurai just assumes a threatening attitude and he's such a terrifying badass that minor opponents will be scared off.

That suggests it ought to be a free action rather than something that requires the General to attack.

The original power is relatively weak, affecting only 1 HD creatures and all, so I'd rather not have it as powerful as full "dragon fear", although I agree that if it only affects 1 HD creatures it's of scant use to the General.

Hmm, how about if we make it 1 HD = panicked, up to 4 HD = frightened, 5 or more HD = shaken.

I guess we could also reduce the duration. Frightful Presence's 4d6 rounds is rather long. The "demoralize opponent" effect of the Intimidate skill only makes the target shaken for 1 round.

Actually, that gives me an idea. We could make this a "super intimidation" ability that uses the same mechanism as demoralize opponent (An Intimidation check vs a level check (plus Wisdom and fear modifiers), just to be different.

Although a Will save works just as well for me.

freyar

Along the lines you suggest, what if we just make it so he can use the demoralize opponent option of Intimidate as a free action? It's a bit different than the original perhaps, but it's an elegant solution.

Cleon

Legend
Along the lines you suggest, what if we just make it so he can use the demoralize opponent option of Intimidate as a free action? It's a bit different than the original perhaps, but it's an elegant solution.

That's basically the idea. We'd have to tweak it so it can affect multiple targets, since the phrasing of the Intimidate skill suggests it affects a single target. An obvious approach would be drawing some inspiration from the Bardic Music ability's use of the Perform skill. The Fascinate power seems the closest.

How's this:

Power Name like "Martial Intimidation" or "Demoralizing Stance" (Ex or Su [?]): The General can unsettle foes with his mere presence or by making a threatening sound and/or gesture. This is a free action and does not require the General to move.

Each creature to be demoralized must be within 90 feet, able to see or hear the General's threat, and able to pay attention to him. The General must also be able to see the creature.

To use the ability, the General makes an Intimidation check. Its check result is the DC for each affected creature’s modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear). If the Intimidation DC beats a target's check result, the target is panicked if it has 1 Hit Dice, frightened if it has up to 4 Hit Dice, and shaken if it has 5 or more Hit Dice. These effects lasts X rounds. If the DC fails to beat a target's check result, that target cannot be affected by the general's [Power Name] for 24 hours.

[Power Name] is a mind-affecting [fear] ability.

freyar

How about a duration of 2d4 rounds?

I'd rephrase the penultimate sentence to
If the target's modified level check exceeds the DC, that target cannot be affected by the General's {Power Name} for 24 hours.

Cleon

Legend
How about a duration of 2d4 rounds?

I'd rephrase the penultimate sentence to
If the target's modified level check exceeds the DC, that target cannot be affected by the General's {Power Name} for 24 hours.

Both those changes work for me.

Any idea for a good name for the power?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. "Demoralizing Stance" has a bit of a cachet, so let's go for that.

Hmm... "Stance" suggests a posture and we want it to include sounds and gestures. How about:

Demoralizing Presence: The General can unsettle foes through its sheer presence. This is a free action that does not require the General to move. It can demoralize opponents by its mere appearance or posture as easily as it can with a threatening sound and/or gesture.

Remove ads