Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Dang it. The General's got Improved Unarmed Strike, so I should add that to the attack line on the off chance it gets disarmed.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about something like 30 ft for the dimension door as well? It shouldn't be too far, I think.

Leaving Imp Disarm is also fine. I'm not terribly worried about the feats.

Given his Dex bonus, a breastplate would make sense. Given he's a general, it might make sense to give it some magic property, too.

Cleon

Legend
How about something like 30 ft for the dimension door as well? It shouldn't be too far, I think.

I'd rather make it a bit longer. Not the 920 foot range of a CL 13th dimension door, but at least more than he can make with a single move action.

Something like 60 or 100 feet maybe?

Come to think of it, I'll check the size of the room in the original adventure. That should give us a minimum scale for it.

Leaving Imp Disarm is also fine. I'm not terribly worried about the feats.

Yes, let's just leave it as is.

Given his Dex bonus, a breastplate would make sense. Given he's a general, it might make sense to give it some magic property, too.

Well traditionally AD&D Samurai have roughly the equivalent to banded armour, but then in AD&D heavy armour didn't curb your max Dex bonus and magic armour didn't slow you down, so high-Dex characters like the General were more likely to wear heavy armour.

The General in the adventure has Move 12 and AC 2, so in 3E terms he's likely got light armour.

How about a +2 mithral breastplate?

freyar

+2 mithral breastplate it is! As for the dimension door range, I could go to 100 ft, but I'd rather not extend it beyond that.

freyar

So 60 ft should work. The AC of a normal mirror should be 3, I guess, since it's Medium-sized.

He looks about CR 11 to me, maybe CR 12. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
So 60 ft should work. The AC of a normal mirror should be 3, I guess, since it's Medium-sized.

Sure, AC 3 is what the rules say. The original scenario gave the mirrors AC 5, which is AC 15 in 3E, so I suppose we could give it some NA or something.

Oh, and how many hit points are we giving them? They had 20 apiece in the AD&D adventure, but our placeholder uses the 1 hp of an inch of glass.

Hmm, come to think of it, what are the mirrors made of? It just describes them as being "rose tinted". In real-life ancient Japan the mirrors were polished metal, but the adventure says they "do not crack, but shatter when destroyed", which sounds more like glass.. Still, we could give them respectable hit points if we wanted to.

He looks about CR 11 to me, maybe CR 12. What do you think?

I was thinking a little lower than that, maybe Challenge Rating 10, since it's not that much nastier than the CR 8 Reaper and Veiled Maidens. It certainly doesn't feel like the +4 CR difference that CR 12 would require.

The General's got 4 HD more than the Reaper, which'd be +2 CR if they were dragon/outsider/nonassociated class levels, which seems about right.

freyar

Well, since the stats are for a "typical" mirror, I'd stick with the 1 hp and AC 3. If we want to say he hangs around with magically treated mirrors, we could add some hp or even a bit of hardness.

CR 10 is fine by me.

Remove ads