• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Well, since the stats are for a "typical" mirror, I'd stick with the 1 hp and AC 3. If we want to say he hangs around with magically treated mirrors, we could add some hp or even a bit of hardness.

CR 10 is fine by me.

I can go along with that...

Updating The General Working Draft.

Okay then, the only mechanical element that leaves unresolved is the Skills.

Let's see, it's an Undead with 13 HD and Int 14, so we're talking 128 SPs, enough for 8 skills maxed to 16 ranks.

The Demoralizing Presence ability requires Intimidate, so I'd max that out.

The General doesn't seem the sneaky type, so I wouldn't bother with Hide or Move Silently, but Listen and Spot are always useful.

As a cinematic Martial Artist we could give it Jump and Tumble.

Traditional samurai are usually expert horsemen, so I'd suggest Ride as well - though we could skip that or not max it out if we wanted to.

So that's Intimidate 16, Jump 16, Listen 16, Ride ?, Spot 16, Tumble 16.

We've got enough for two or three more skills.

Any preferences?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
A general probably ought to have Know. (geography) and I'd think at least one of Know (nobility & royalty), (local), or (history). I kind of like Ride, so would you like to choose 2 of those Knowledge skills?

Cleon

Legend
A general probably ought to have Know. (geography) and I'd think at least one of Know (nobility & royalty), (local), or (history). I kind of like Ride, so would you like to choose 2 of those Knowledge skills?

Hmm...

Knowledge (history) has "wars" as one of its areas, while (architecture and engineering) has "fortifications". I also like Knowledge (geography).

So how about 8 ranks apiece in those 3 Knowledges plus Ride.

That leaves enough for another maxed-out skill.

I'm thinking Sense Motive, since in life he probably faced a lot of deceit & ambushes.

Hmm, I'm tempted to give him some ranks in Search too. Let's shave some Sense Motive to pay for it.

So that's ranks of Intimidate 16, Jump 16, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 8, Knowledge (geography) 8, Knowledge (history) 8, Listen 16, Ride 8, Search 6, Sense Motive 10, Spot 16, Tumble 16.

Which works out as:

Skills: Balance +4*, Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +20, Jump +23*, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) +10, Knowledge (geography) +10, Knowledge (history) +10, Listen +17, Ride +11, Search +8 (+10 finding secret doors), Sense Motive +11, Spot +17, Survival +1 (+3 following tracks, finding paths and avoiding natural hazards), Tumble +20*
*includes -1 armour check penalty.

freyar

Hey, that looks good!

Well, the adventure suggests tactics of attacking first with the short sword before summoning the katana and using mirror phantoms. Perhaps he uses the demoralizing presence with the first attack and judiciously uses kiai? Not sure about that.

Cleon

Legend
Hey, that looks good!

Well, the adventure suggests tactics of attacking first with the short sword before summoning the katana and using mirror phantoms. Perhaps he uses the demoralizing presence with the first attack and judiciously uses kiai? Not sure about that.

If I remember correctly, I think that's because he's sitting meditating when encountered and the crimson katana is on a sword stand. So he had to Quick Draw his shortsword to attack while activating his mirror image power. While this happened the crimson katana teleports to his hand so he can attack with it on his next initiative.

That rather implies his Mirror Phantasms ability is a move action or a swift action.

We'd better specify which it is. I prefer Move, since he only makes one shortsword attack in the original scenario.

Cleon

Legend
I'd go with a move action, also.

Do you have any proposed tactics?

Well we might as well base it on the tactics in the adventure.

The General seeks to kill anyone who disturbs it. Weak opponents are hounded and tormented for sport. The General fights until it is destroyed or the intruders have all escaped its chambers or died.

The General normally opens combat by using Quick Draw to draw a blade and make a standard attack while activating his demoralizing presence and mirror phantoms powers. If the crimson katana isn't already in its hand, it teleports to the General in the first round of combat.

On subsequent rounds the General attacks with a fury of full attacks augmented with its kiai ability, or a great kiai if it seems opportune. It mainly uses the blink power of the crimson katana to escape from being pinned or restrained by opponents, or to outflank them by blinking through a wall. It often restrains from using a round of blink to avoid the risk of the power's miss chance affecting the General's own attacks.

freyar

Ummmm, Undercommon for the last language? Some other human language would make sense, but that's not exactly an option. Infernal could work, too.

Yeah, I just meant to ask if you're happy just copying, pasting, and modifying from one of the others.

Remove ads