Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Make this an actual special attack?
Might as well go for it!

Aquatic/amphibious or water breathing like black dragon?
I'd vote for water breathing.

We'll need to decide on a more CR-appropriate AC. Give it any DR? Fast healing rather than regeneration? Stick with fast healing 4, or go higher?
If we're comparing to the tarrasque, I'd give it DR 15/epic or so. I like fast healing better in this case, and quite a bit of it. Anywhere from 25 to about 50 is ok with me.

Didn't we do something similiar with an earlier conversion?
Blue-ringed octopus, maybe?

Special ability, or racial bonus on Sense Motive checks?
Not sure.
Light sensitivity?
Yes.
Swallow whole?

It better! ;)

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Let's stick with Colossal for a couple reasons:

I was OK with starting them out 50 Hit Dice.

Plain Colossal is alright too. They only start out 100' long, after all.

Make this an actual special attack?

Deafening Roar sounds good.

Do we want to add a fear effect like a Dragon's Frightful Presence?

Aquatic/amphibious or water breathing like black dragon?

Water breathing methinks.

We'll need to decide on a more CR-appropriate AC. Give it any DR? Fast healing rather than regeneration? Stick with fast healing 4, or go higher?

Natural armour in the 30s?

Definitely needs more healing. What did you think of my proposal to copy a tarrasque's regeneration? You'll notice the original doesn't say how to overcome the Reptilian's regeneration - maybe there isn't a way!:D

Didn't we do something similiar with an earlier conversion?

Wasn't it the Shadowcat that had an uncanny "sense offspring in danger" ability?

Special ability, or racial bonus on Sense Motive checks?

I was going to go for some kind of empathic ability.

Light sensitivity?

Yes, that would fit.

Swallow whole?

Sure, why not.

What size category is a tree, anyway?:)

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I was thinking exactly the opposite, using different types for each.

Reptilian - Dragon
Humanoid - Monstrous Humanoid
Insectoid - Magical Beast (like a Spider Eater or Phase Spider)

Plus, there's the Gargantuan Carrion Crawler and Troll from the Mystara Appendix...

Troll - Giant
Carrion Crawler - Aberration

I guess we can't do the Carrion Crawler since it's Product ID, but is there anything stopping us doing the Gargantuan Troll?

Wouldn't Giant make more sense for the humanoid gargantua?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wouldn't Giant make more sense for the humanoid gargantua?

Probably, but we'll fight that battle when we come to it. ;)

Updated with a few abilities based on comments.

For the sahdow panther, we just went with flavor text:
Shadow panthers have an innate ability to telepathically contact others of their kind whenever they are seriously injured or imprisoned. Even newborn cubs possess this power, which is unconscious and automatic. Regardless of distance, any shadow panthers on the same plane may decide to come to the aid of their distressed kin. If the call comes from a cub the other shadow panthers always form a "strike team" to rescue the youngster and adopt it into their pack.

I don't think the tarrasque's regeneration is appropriate. The original text indicates they only live several centuries (young by dragon standards).

For the deafening roar, we might be able to use some of these kaiju feats for inspiration...

Battle Roar [Kaiju]
The kaiju's roar sounds especially fierce.
Prerequisite: Kaiju template.
Benefit: As a move equivalent action, the kaiju can unleash a battle roar. No two kaiju battle roars sound alike. A creature of 6 Hit Dice or less within 1,200 feet of the kaiju in the round that it roars becomes shaken and suffers a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saving throws. Creatures of 7 or more Hit Dice must make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + half the kaiju's hit dice + the kaiju's Charisma modifier) to avoid the same effects.
Normal: While tremendously loud and unique to that particular kaiju, the monster's roar has no additional effects on those who can hear it. A kaiju roar, under normal cirucmstances, can be easily heard from miles around.
Special: Deafened creatures or creatures who cannot hear are immune to the effects of a kaiju roar. As Battle Roar is a supernatural ability, a bard can user her countersong ability to allow allies within 30 feet to use her perform check in place of the saving throw.

Stunning Roar [Kaiju]
The kaiju's roar is particularly forceful and disorienting.
Prerequisite: Kaiju template, Battle Roar, Thunderous Roar.
Benefit: As a full roundaction, the kaiju can unleash a stunning roar. No two kaiju stunning roars sound alike. A stunning roar has the same effects as a thunderous roar and a battle roar. Additionally, the sheer force of a stunning roar forces all creatures of 7 or more Hit Dice within 1,200 feet of the kaiju to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + half the kaiju's hit dice + the kaiju's Charisma modifier) or become stunned for 1d4 rounds.
Special: Deafened creatures or creatures who cannot hear are immune to the effects of a kaiju roar. As Stunning Roar is a supernatural ability, a bard can user her countersong ability to allow allies within 30 feet to use her perform check in place of the saving throw.

Thunderous Roar [Kaiju]
The kaiju's roar is unbelievably loud.
Prerequisite: Kaiju template, Battle Roar.
Benefit: As a standard action, the kaiju can unleash a thunderous roar. A thunderous roar has the same effects as a Battle Roar. Additionally, creatures of 7 or more Hit Dice within 1,200 feet of the kaiju to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + half the kaiju's hit dice + the kaiju's Charisma modifier) or be deafened for 3d6 rounds.
Special: Deafened creatures or creatures who cannot hear are immune to the effects of a kaiju roar. As Thunderous Roar is a supernatural ability, a bard can user her countersong ability to allow allies within 30 feet to use her perform check in place of the saving throw.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Probably, but we'll fight that battle when we come to it. ;)

Kaiju Fight! Kaiju Fight!!:p

Actually, I would be OK making them Giants.

Updated with a few abilities based on comments.

What about returning them to 50 HD then?

For the sahdow [sic] panther, we just went with flavor text:

I suppose I'm OK with doing something similar, or we could add it as an attribute of their Empathic Sense (assuming we give them such).

I don't think the tarrasque's regeneration is appropriate. The original text indicates they only live several centuries (young by dragon standards).

I'd be OK with a big pile of Fast Healing - 20 points? more?

For the deafening roar, we might be able to use some of these kaiju feats for inspiration...

Hmm, only the last of those causes deafness so I'd adapt Thundering Roar. I don't much like deafness providing immunity - I would think it's so powerful it causes the shaken condition by literally shaking the victims!

How about:

Thunderous Roar (Su): As a standard action, a reptilian gargantua can unleash an unbelievably loud roar. A creature of 6 Hit Dice or less within 1,200 feet of the kaiju in the round that it roars becomes shaken and deafened for 3d6 rounds, suffering a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saving throws. Creatures of 7 or more Hit Dice can make a DC X Fortitude saving throw to avoid the effects. Creatures with any 5 or more points of sonic resistance are immune to the effects of the thunderous roar. A bard can user her countersong ability to allow allies within 30 feet to use her perform check in place of the saving throw. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
What about returning them to 50 HD then?

Why?

I suppose I'm OK with doing something similar, or we could add it as an attribute of their Empathic Sense (assuming we give them such).

I'd be fine with such an ability.

I'd be OK with a big pile of Fast Healing - 20 points? more?

20 is pretty darn good.

How about:

Thunderous Roar (Su): As a standard action, a reptilian gargantua can unleash an unbelievably loud roar. A creature of 6 Hit Dice or less within 1,200 feet of the kaiju in the round that it roars becomes shaken and deafened for 3d6 rounds, suffering a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saving throws. Creatures of 7 or more Hit Dice can make a DC X Fortitude saving throw to avoid the effects. Creatures with any 5 or more points of sonic resistance are immune to the effects of the thunderous roar. A bard can user her countersong ability to allow allies within 30 feet to use her perform check in place of the saving throw. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Let's drop the sonic resistance bit...it seems fiddly.

Cleon

Legend

It just clashes with my sense of symmetry. Giving it 28% more HD than the 2E version just feels odd.

I'd be fine with such an ability.

Okay, I'll rough something out then:

Empathic Sense (Su or Ps?): A reptilian gargantua has an instinctive telepathic ability that warns it if a creature intends it harm. This functions as the psionic power detect hostile intent except it has a range of 300 ft. Due to this power, the gargantua cannot be surprised or caught flat-footed by creatures that are susceptible to mind-affecting powers and can make Sense Motive checks as a free action against anyone within 30 feet of you.

A reptilian gargantua's empathic sense allows it to infallibly follow the psychic trail of any creature it has detected hostility from. This tracking ability has an unlimited range, but the gargantua can not track a being if it moves to another plane of existence.

Finally, a reptilian gargantua receives the empathic sense of its young as well as its own, provided its offspring is on the same plane of existence as the gargantua. Should its young be attacked, a reptilian gargantua can detect both the distress of its young and the hostility of the creature(s) attacking it, and can use its empathic sense's tracking ability to find either of them.

A Reptilian Gargantua's Empathic can penetrate barriers, but 30 feet of stone, 3 feet of common metal, a foot of lead, or 60 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

20 is pretty darn good.

Fast Healing 20 is enough for me.

Let's drop the sonic resistance bit...it seems fiddly.

I could go along with it. I certainly wouldn't want to keep the "deafened" bit in the original feat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It just clashes with my sense of symmetry. Giving it 28% more HD than the 2E version just feels odd.

Think of it as 25% better than a tarrasque. ;)

Okay, I'll rough something out then:

Empathic Sense (Su or Ps?): A reptilian gargantua has an instinctive telepathic ability that warns it if a creature intends it harm. This functions as the psionic power detect hostile intent except it has a range of 300 ft. Due to this power, the gargantua cannot be surprised or caught flat-footed by creatures that are susceptible to mind-affecting powers and can make Sense Motive checks as a free action against anyone within 30 feet of you.

A reptilian gargantua's empathic sense allows it to infallibly follow the psychic trail of any creature it has detected hostility from. This tracking ability has an unlimited range, but the gargantua can not track a being if it moves to another plane of existence.

Finally, a reptilian gargantua receives the empathic sense of its young as well as its own, provided its offspring is on the same plane of existence as the gargantua. Should its young be attacked, a reptilian gargantua can detect both the distress of its young and the hostility of the creature(s) attacking it, and can use its empathic sense's tracking ability to find either of them.

A Reptilian Gargantua's Empathic can penetrate barriers, but 30 feet of stone, 3 feet of common metal, a foot of lead, or 60 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Very nice! :cool:

Fast Healing 20 is enough for me.

Perfect.

I could go along with it. I certainly wouldn't want to keep the "deafened" bit in the original feat.

Sure, we can leave that out.

Rappy

First Post
I like the wording of the Empathic Sense as well; I'd have it as (Su) rather than (Psi) just to give it that more of an edge.

Remove ads