Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Magical Beast for me, too. The other types of gargantua should be the same type, and they don't sound like they'll have much in common with dragons.

I was thinking exactly the opposite, using different types for each.

Reptilian - Dragon
Humanoid - Monstrous Humanoid
Insectoid - Magical Beast (like a Spider Eater or Phase Spider)

Plus, there's the Gargantuan Carrion Crawler and Troll from the Mystara Appendix...

Troll - Giant
Carrion Crawler - Aberration

I guess we can't do the Carrion Crawler since it's Product ID, but is there anything stopping us doing the Gargantuan Troll?

Cleon

Legend
Magical Beast for me, too. The other types of gargantua should be the same type, and they don't sound like they'll have much in common with dragons.

Colossal, or Colossal+?

I tihnk I can go with Shade's proposed HD and abilities.

I don't know what came over me to type in that Animal, I realized it was a mistake a few minutes after I did it.

Anyhow, Dragon was my favourite for the Reptilian Gargantua but you all seem to be against it, so I suppose it can be Magical Beast.

Before we get too far along with it, can we talk about what sort of power level we're aiming for?

Are we going for Challenge Rating 20 or so, like a Tarrasque, or CR25+ like most Epic Monsters?

Okay, further on the above.

After a bit of pondering I'm alright starting it out as a 50 HD monster with CR ~20, since it can always allow it enough Advancement to get a HD to rival a Devastation Vermin.

For comparison, the kaiju in Toho films ranged in height from about 60 feet to 600+ feet, so we are just having it start out at the smaller end of the scale.

They range from 100 to 200 feet long according to the text. Assuming that includes the tail, hundred feet matches to Colossal and two hundred to Colossal+. I suppose we could have them advance a pseudosize category but that seems fiddly.

I'd rather just keep them Colossal+.

Shade's Str 53, Dex 13, Con 37, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 22 seem a good start but I'd increase the Wisdom since they have some uncanny senses, including long-range "super-tracking" and empathy.

Oh, and I still have my heart set on Dragon.:.-(

Rappy

First Post
Now that I think about it some more, Dragon could very well work. They are big, reptilian, and supernatural, after all...and they are big Godzilla expies as well.

On size: Colossal+ sounds fine to me! They will probably be close to or in epic either way, so why not go with the adage of "bigger is better"?

On ability scores: Agreed, again. Maybe Wisdom 16 coupled with keen scent? Nothing that makes them super-aware, but certainly above-average.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, now I don't suppose I could interest anyone in a Gargantua template? That's really the only way I can get my head around using different types for these, at least assuming they're supposed to be related somehow.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd considered that early on, but I think they differ too much from one to another. I think they work best as individuals related like a creature "family" (like demons, illithidae, beholder-kin, etc.)

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a "how to make your own" underbar or entry.

Shade

Monster Junkie
But they don't have to! ;)

Demons have constructs (retriever), yuan-ti have monstrous humanoids and aberrations, beholders have undead (death tyrants), and so on...

Edit: The best example: the epic Abominations: something for everyone!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Let's stick with Colossal for a couple reasons:

1.) Colossal+ is only used by epic true dragons, not any other creatures of similar or greater size
2.) The Creature Catalogue does not have a Colossal+ database entry (that should probably be #1)
3.) Colossal+ has no impact on size-based modifiers
4.) We can still give them the damage and size-based effects for Colossal + without calling them "Colossal+"

The reptilian gargantua cannot speak, but it emits deafening roars that sound like the trumpeting of a bull elephant amplified a thousandfold.

Make this an actual special attack?

It can breathe both air and water.

Aquatic/amphibious or water breathing like black dragon?

The reptilian gargantua's tough hide gives it an Armor Class of 2, forming a strong defense against most physical attacks. When it does suffer damage, the creature can regenerate 4 hit points per round.

We'll need to decide on a more CR-appropriate AC. Give it any DR? Fast healing rather than regeneration? Stick with fast healing 4, or go higher?

The surest way to provoke the wrath of a reptilian gargantua is to threaten its offspring. Adult gargantua have remarkable mental bonds with their young, enabling them to locate their young with pinpoint accuracy at an unlimited range.

Didn't we do something similiar with an earlier conversion?

In spite of their reputation as mindless destroyers, reptilian gargantua actually possess a simple empathy that enables them to sense the emotions and desires of others, albeit on a primitive level. They seem to instinctively know which creatures bear them ill will, and direct their attacks accordingly.

Special ability, or racial bonus on Sense Motive checks?

Since their eyes are sensitive to bright light, the creatures spend most of the day sleeping in their lairs, becoming active at night to search for food and patrol their territory

Light sensitivity?

Ecology: The reptilian gargantua is an omnivore. It primarily eats plants, swallowing whole trees in a single gulp. But it also enjoys living prey of all varieties. It can even dine on minerals, gems, and other inorganic substances in times of scarce vegetation and game.

Swallow whole?

Remove ads