• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hold on, shouldn't the bite be a primary attack and the claws and tail the secondary? We're following the lead of the SRD Dragon aren't we?

Nope. I tend to follow the original routine, and these aren't "true" dragons. Other "lesser" dragons utilize different attack routines. That said, I'm not entirely opposed to making the bite the primary attack. What do the rest of you think?

Apart from that I think it's done save for the Challenge Rating.

At least 25, maybe 26. It's better than both the sirrush and tayellah (both CR 24).

Let's settle on that and start on Minya!

Bring on Kaiju Jr.

Cleon

Legend
At least 25, maybe 26. It's better than both the sirrush and tayellah (both CR 24).

I don't have much feel for epic-level CRs.

It's not that far off the CR 28 three header sirrush as far as its attacks, hits & damage go. The sirrush has got Spell Resistance and Energy Resistance going for it though, which out to be worth a level of Challenge Rating.

CR 27?

Cleon

Legend
Bring on Kaiju Jr.

Okay then! We don't have much to work on:

Reptilian gargantua live several hundred years. They choose mates within a few years of reaching maturity, and remain with them for the rest of their lives. A female reptilian gargantua gives birth to a single offspring once per century. The birth of a reptilian gargantua is marked by shattering thunderstorms that rock the skies over the territory of its parents for 101 days.

An immature reptilian gargantua stands about 20-40 feet tall. It also has 10 HD (THAC0 11) and a movement rate of 12 (Sw 9). A youngling’s claws inflict 1-10 hit points of damage each, and its bite inflicts 2-24 (2d12) hit points of damage. Its tail – not nearly as formidable as an adult’s – sweeps the ground in an arch reaching 20 feet behind and to both sides, inflicting 3-18 (3d6) points of damage to all victims who fail their save vs. death.

As noted above, thunderstorms occur when a reptilian gargantua is born. If a dead creature of any kind is struck by a lightning bolt from such a storm, the bolt acts as resurrection spell.

So it appears to start out with 20% the height and Hit Dice of a standard Repto-Gargantua.

20% of 64 HD is 12.8, so maybe something like:

Huge Dragon
Hit Dice: 13d12+
Advancement: 14-31 HD (Huge); 32-63 HD (Gargantuan); 64+ HD (Colossal)

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 27 seems a good fit.

I agree with your assessment of Godzookee so far. ;)

EDIT: Perhaps we should start 'em at 18 HD like a similarly-sized Tyrannosaurus?

We might look to T-Rex for physical ability scores:
Str 28, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10

Cleon

Legend
CR 27 seems a good fit.

I agree with your assessment of Godzookee so far. ;)

EDIT: Perhaps we should start 'em at 18 HD like a similarly-sized Tyrannosaurus?

We're statting up a baby, so I don't think it needs as many HD as an adult Huge creature. Besides, a 13 HD Dragon has the same BAB as an 18 HD Animal plus more skill points.

We might look to T-Rex for physical ability scores:
Str 28, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10

Downscaling Papa Gargantua would give us:

Str 37, Dex 13, Con 29, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10

Perhaps we should average those with a Tyrannosaurus's ability scores?

Str 33, Dex 13, Con 25, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10 ?

That gives Hit Dice of 13d12+91 (175), pretty close to a T rex's 180 hp.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Whatever happened with the primary/secondary attacks bit? I like the idea of keeping the original ordering.

Baby is looking ok so far.

Cleon

Legend
I can work with that. I'd like Int a tad higher, though. Probably 3-4. Maybe boost Cha to 12-13 as well.

Give it Int and Wis two points lower than an adult Reptilian and Charisma 4 points lower?

Str 33, Dex 13, Con 25, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 18

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I prefer making the bite primary too.

Oh, and I just noticed the adult has a "subsits" instead of "subsist" in the 3rd paragraph of its flavour text.
I actually meant for the claw to be primary. ;)

Spelling bee: "Subsit. S-U-B-S-I-T. When Godzilla subsits, he crushes the streets down to the subway level. Subsit."

Remove ads