Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Whatever happened with the primary/secondary attacks bit? I like the idea of keeping the original ordering.

I prefer making the bite primary too..

I actually meant for the claw to be primary. ;)

I feel a kaiju-scale difference of opinion coming on.:p

<unleashes Godzilla scream>RRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!</end Godzilla scream>

I'm with freyar. ;)

Updated.

Tail sweep gets dropped since only Gargantuan and larger dragons get it. Drop thunderous roar as well? It can keep trample and swallow whole, since T-Rex's get 'em. Huge dragons get crush, so it can stay, too. Reduce DR to 10/magic?

Cleon

Legend
<unleashes Godzilla scream>RRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!</end Godzilla scream>

I'm with freyar. ;)

<Releases Ghidorah Triple Anti-Matter Dragon Breath>ZZZZAAAZZZZZZ!!!! ZZZZAAAZZZZZZ!!!! ZZZZAAAZZZZZZ!!!!</ends Ghidorah Dragon Breath>

...and let that be a lesson to you!

Updated.

Tail sweep gets dropped since only Gargantuan and larger dragons get it. Drop thunderous roar as well? It can keep trample and swallow whole, since T-Rex's get 'em. Huge dragons get crush, so it can stay, too. Reduce DR to 10/magic?

That all sounds OK to me.

Make an Advancement Note that they gain tail sweep at and DR 10/epic at Gargantuan and Thunderous Roar at Colossal?

Cut Survival from its skills, thus explaining why it needs parental care and compensating for the fewer SPs it has for the lower Intelligence?

What feats do you fancy?

We need to reduce the damage, but I'm not quite sure to what extent.

The original does about a third the damage, do we want to follow that lead? If so, I guess the Gargantuan version does roughly two-thirds damage, something like:

Weapon - Baby / Juvenile / Adult
Claw - 1d10 / 2d10 / 3d10
Bite - 2d12 / 4d10 / 6d10
Tail-Slap - 2d12 / 5d12 /8d12
Tail-Sweep - 2d10 / 5d10 /8d10
Crush - 3d12 / 6d12 / 10d12
Trample - 3d10 / 6d10 / 10d10

I did wonder about cutting the dice size by 2 - e.g. 3d6 claws instead of 3d10 claws - and have the Gargantuan's weapon damage be 1 dice size smaller, but that would give it much better damage than indicated.

Shade

Monster Junkie
<Releases Ghidorah Triple Anti-Matter Dragon Breath>ZZZZAAAZZZZZZ!!!! ZZZZAAAZZZZZZ!!!! ZZZZAAAZZZZZZ!!!!</ends Ghidorah Dragon Breath>

Impressive!

Make an Advancement Note that they gain tail sweep at and DR 10/epic at Gargantuan and Thunderous Roar at Colossal?

Cut Survival from its skills, thus explaining why it needs parental care and compensating for the fewer SPs it has for the lower Intelligence?

That all sounds reasonable.

What feats do you fancy?
Probably Improved Critical (bite), Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, and Weapon Focus (bite)

We need to reduce the damage, but I'm not quite sure to what extent.

The original does about a third the damage, do we want to follow that lead? If so, I guess the Gargantuan version does roughly two-thirds damage, something like:

Weapon - Baby / Juvenile / Adult
Claw - 1d10 / 2d10 / 3d10
Bite - 2d12 / 4d10 / 6d10
Tail-Slap - 2d12 / 5d12 /8d12
Tail-Sweep - 2d10 / 5d10 /8d10
Crush - 3d12 / 6d12 / 10d12
Trample - 3d10 / 6d10 / 10d10

I did wonder about cutting the dice size by 2 - e.g. 3d6 claws instead of 3d10 claws - and have the Gargantuan's weapon damage be 1 dice size smaller, but that would give it much better damage than indicated.

I think the chart above should work.

Do we want to reduce the speed at all? Maybe 40 ft. like a T-rex? Keep swim speed at 30 feet, or reduce to 20 feet?

Cleon

Legend
Probably Improved Critical (bite), Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, and Weapon Focus (bite)

I'd like to swap Blind-Fight for one of those - maybe Improved Critical?

Do we want to reduce the speed at all? Maybe 40 ft. like a T-rex? Keep swim speed at 30 feet, or reduce to 20 feet?

Well in the movies the little guy keeps on having to run to keep up with the Big G so I'm happy dropping land speed.

Besides, are these Giga-reptiles as well built for running as a Tyrannosaurus? They're not exactly agile in the movies.

Perhaps we should drop baby to 30 ft. speed and give the Gargantuan a 40 ft. speed?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

We still need natural armor bonus, amount of fast healing, and CR.

Well normal reverse-sizing would give it NA +38, but that strikes me as too high for the intended CR.

Most Huge dragons have natural armours in the 20s but they also have a lot more than 13 Hit Dice!

How about Baby has NA equal to its Hit Dice until it becomes Gargantuan at 32 HD when it gets it an additional +2 NA boost for size (+34 NA), then it gets an additional point of NA for every additional 4 HD until it hits Colossal whereupon it gets an extra +5 NA boost to give it the +47 NA of an adult (34+8+5 = 47).

Hmm, that seems too complicated. I don't want to give the blinking thing True Dragon age categories!

Let's say natural armour bonus equals Hit Dice for Huge Reptilian Gargantua, NA +36 for Gargantuan ones?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
<Deploys Broussard collectors to capture anti-matter and funnel it to dilithium crystals> Ahem.

That's still a bit fussy with the NA. What about NA 20 at Huge?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think 20 at large, plus the usual size increase to Gargantuan would be fine. We don't have to micromanage every week of the creature's growth, after all. ;)

Cleon

Legend
I think 20 at large, plus the usual size increase to Gargantuan would be fine. We don't have to micromanage every week of the creature's growth, after all. ;)

Don't we? I suppose I'd let you get away with fortnightly checkup, but you would you want to risk it. Baby Godzillas are so delicate, after all.:p

Giving baby NA +20 is fine by me, but I'd give the teenage version more than the NA +24 it'd get from standard Advancement. NA +32 feels like it's in the right ballpark.

Remove ads