Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Well, Cleon's saying that the gargantua could just slam the creature down, so it leaves the gargantua's hand at the same velocity already as it would if thrown a long distance. By that logic, the two cases should lead to the same damage. I think Fling would actually be the appropriate ability for what Cleon wants.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Change the name to Fling if it helps you sleep better.

In the real world they might take less damage from being hurled a long distance than a short one with the same initial velocity, since they'd be slowed by air resistance.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Change the name to Fling if it helps you sleep better.

I'd sleep better if we used the fling ability, substituting in our damage and distances. In other words, cut out the bull rush business, since we have precedent without it that better fits a giant than the mammoth's toss.

Cleon

Legend
I'd sleep better if we used the fling ability, substituting in our damage and distances. In other words, cut out the bull rush business, since we have precedent without it that better fits a giant than the mammoth's toss.

That suits me fine, something like:

Fling (Ex): A humanoid gargantua who successfully grapples a foe two or more size categories smaller than itself can hurl the creature as a standard action. A flung creature travels up to 120 feet and takes 12d6 points of damage. A creature that is flung off a mountain takes this amount of damage or the appropriate falling damage, whichever is greater. The gargantua also can throw the flung creature as though it were a boulder. In this case, the flung creature takes 12d6+20 points of damage, and any opponent it strikes takes 4d8+20 points of damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'll add 'em.

Those skills appeal. Maybe Jump 5, Intimidate 10, Listen 13, Spot 13, Survival 12?

Feats: 17 (10 can be epic)
We've already discussed track.

After looking at other giants, here are some more suggestions:
Alertness, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Track

Taking those feat trees a bit further: Devastating Critical (slam), Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Overwhelming Critical (slam)...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, unless we swap out some of the regular feats, there aren't any other Epic Feats that they qualify for and are interesting. So we might as well keep that list, I think. It works pretty well.

Cleon

Legend
Well, unless we swap out some of the regular feats, there aren't any other Epic Feats that they qualify for and are interesting. So we might as well keep that list, I think. It works pretty well.

I'd give them Dire Charge instead of one of those regular feats. Maybe swap it for Improved Sunder or Combat Reflexes?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's replace Combat Reflexes, as it isn't very useful for 'em.

Updated.

AC? The closest comparison, the mountain giant, has +29 natural armor.

CR? The mountain giant is woefully over-CRed at 26. WotC designers have recommended a revised CR of 16 for them. These guys aren't as tough as a CR 24 stone colossus.

Humanoid gargantua stand 80 to 100 feet tall and weigh x tons.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We need to replace something with Imp Init for them to qualify for Dire Charge.

+31 natural just for a boost. ;)

I'd just be guessing on CR. :erm:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases