Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's drop Epic Will. It's the least "giantish" IMHO.

+31 natural sounds reasonable.

CR 22 seems about right. It dishes out similar damage and has about as good a chance of survival as Ityak-Ortheel the Elf Eater, a Colossal outsider.

Cleon

Legend
Let's replace Combat Reflexes, as it isn't very useful for 'em.

Updated.

Combat Reflexes is the one I'd have gone for too.

AC? The closest comparison, the mountain giant, has +29 natural armor.

The original's AC was precisely midway between the Reptilian and Insectoid. If we did the same for the Humanoid it'd have AC43.

I would prefer a nice round AC 42 or AC 45 though, which would require a NA of +39 or +42. I don't much mind which.

CR? The mountain giant is woefully over-CRed at 26. WotC designers have recommended a revised CR of 16 for them. These guys aren't as tough as a CR 24 stone colossus.

Yes, I remember the Mountain Giant CR debacle when they first came out, they were MM2 weren't they?

I'm thinking CR 20, since they're not that far off from a Tarrasque statwise.

Humanoid gargantua stand 80 to 100 feet tall and weigh x tons.

Based on the assumption that a six-foot tall Humanoid would weigh 300 lbs, like a slightly skinny gorilla or a really burly human, I'll say 500 tons. That's half the weight of the Reptilian.

Cleon

Legend
Does the "they are able to comprehend short phrases of human languages 25% of the time" in their entry suggest Humanoid Gargantua cannot speak, but understand Common?

EDIT: Oh, and are we doing Huge and Gargantuan immature specimens like we did for the Reptilian?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Double posts are twice as nice! ;)

The original's AC was precisely midway between the Reptilian and Insectoid. If we did the same for the Humanoid it'd have AC43.

I would prefer a nice round AC 42 or AC 45 though, which would require a NA of +39 or +42. I don't much mind which.

Let's go with 42.

Yes, I remember the Mountain Giant CR debacle when they first came out, they were MM2 weren't they?

I'm thinking CR 20, since they're not that far off from a Tarrasque statwise.

The tarrasque is probably under-CRed. This thing would make paste out of a balor or pit fiend!

Based on the assumption that a six-foot tall Humanoid would weigh 300 lbs, like a slightly skinny gorilla or a really burly human, I'll say 500 tons. That's half the weight of the Reptilian.

That works. :)

Does the "they are able to comprehend short phrases of human languages 25% of the time" in their entry suggest Humanoid Gargantua cannot speak, but understand Common?

Nah. I'd like them to be able to speak Giant, at the very least. We can note that they can comprehend a smigeon of Common.

EDIT: Oh, and are we doing Huge and Gargantuan immature specimens like we did for the Reptilian?

Ugh...only if we must! :.-(

I'd rather find suitable other giants to just say "use moutain giant stats" or whatnot.

If not, I'm leaving for a little over a week starting Friday, so you guys will have plenty of time to hash those out without leading to post-traumatic stress disorder for me. :p

Cleon

Legend
Double posts are twice as nice! ;)

Let's go with 42.

The tarrasque is probably under-CRed. This thing would make paste out of a balor or pit fiend!

That works. :)

Nah. I'd like them to be able to speak Giant, at the very least. We can note that they can comprehend a smigeon of Common.

Ugh...only if we must! :.-(

I'd rather find suitable other giants to just say "use moutain giant stats" or whatnot.

If not, I'm leaving for a little over a week starting Friday, so you guys will have plenty of time to hash those out without leading to post-traumatic stress disorder for me. :p

CR22 is fine.

There are a couple of typos in it "stooped shoulderse" in the description, and "smigeon of Common" in the languages should be "smidgeon".

I think it's be easier to stat up a Huge and Gargantuan version for the juveniles. True giants have quite different abilities - no trample or crush attacks, using clubs rather than slams.

Remove ads