Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agree with your logic about the spells, but I don't have the time to dig into a spell list. :erm:

Please go ahead and expand the headbowl ability, too. ;)

I'd maybe mention that they can alternately cast as wu jen or shukenja, but that's far enough out of the SRD that I wouldn't put in a spell list.

Cleon

Legend
I agree with your logic about the spells, but I don't have the time to dig into a spell list. :erm:

Well, I'm in no hurry. :)

I guess it'd be best to start with their higher level spells - one 4th and two 3rd.

The 4th lvl one obviously needs to be something versatile and useful, like charm monster, polymorph or summon monster IV.

Please go ahead and expand the headbowl ability, too. ;)

Head Bowl (Su): The indentation on the top of a kappa's head is filled with water from the lake or stream where the kappa lives. Movement and ordinary actions (even combat) do not cause the water to spill; however, a character grappling a kappa can empty the bowl by winning an opposed grapple check. This reduces the kappa's Strength and Constitution scores to 8, negates its fast healing ability, and prevents it from using its innate spellcasting ability (it can still cast any spells it gains from other sources, such as character levels).

It looks like we don't have to worry about it using create water to refill its head bowl, since it's only water from its home that counts.

I'd maybe mention that they can alternately cast as wu jen or shukenja, but that's far enough out of the SRD that I wouldn't put in a spell list.

Yes, they aren't OGL so we can safely forget about them.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
These don't feel like the summoning type to me, more like do-it-yourselfers. Let's go with slow and dispel magic.

Cleon

Legend
These don't feel like the summoning type to me, more like do-it-yourselfers. Let's go with slow and dispel magic.

Typical Spells Known (6/7/7/5/3; save DC 12 + spell level)
0—spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, 8
1st—spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, 5
2nd—spell, spell, spell, 3
3rd—dispel magic, slow, 2
4th—charm monster, 1

Okay, 2nd level spells next.

How about fog cloud, since that's a Water domain spell? Although the 1st-level spell obscuring mist would work almost as well, and gives us more room for 2nd level spells.

Since they're mainly melee fighters, protection from arrows would be handy, as would bull's strength.

That leaves an offensive spell (or two, if we give it "the mist option"). The old stand-byes web, hideous laughter, blindness or acid arrow (since scorching ray seems inappropriate).

Alternatively, we could make it one offensive spell plus a utility/defensive spell, like invisibility or eagle's splendor.

Hmm... bull's strength, hideous laughter, invisibility appeal to me the most.

Cleon

Legend
That works, and it fills obscuring mist in at the 1st level line.

Any other preferences for the 1st level spells?

I'm thinking ray of enfeeblement, reduce person and true strike are good candidates for the offensive spells, and disguise self, mage armor and silent image are tempting for the rest.

Remove ads