Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'm a big fan of ray of enfeeblement, so my vote lies there. ;)

Great minds think alike!

That gives us:

Typical Spells Known (6/7/7/5/3; save DC 12 + spell level)
0—spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, 8
1st—disguise self,mage armor, obscuring mist,ray of enfeeblement, true strike,5
2nd—bull's strength, hideous laughter, invisibility, 3
3rd—dispel magic, slow, 2
4th—charm monster, 1

So we're just left with the cantrips. Apart from create water, I fancy ghost sound, resistance and detect magic but aren't so fussed about the other four.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, put those in. The kappa-ti are almost done. However, they're supposed to be "larger, faster, stronger versions of kappa," so we should remember to boost their speed. Land and swim speeds get +10 ft?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We need to differentiate, so I vote to boost the speeds anyway. Besides, I like waffles.

And, if you go back and look, the kappa-ti has twice the movement rating as the common kappa. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
We need to differentiate, so I vote to boost the speeds anyway. Besides, I like waffles.

And, if you go back and look, the kappa-ti has twice the movement rating as the common kappa. ;)

I too like waffles, and agree to swifter speeds.

Cleon

Legend

Dang it, you're right. I wrote it up wrong in my notes - dang copy & paste.

So, add 50% to both (Speed 30 ft., Swim 60 ft.) so the ground speed is the 3E equivalent of the AD&D Kappa-Ti's 12" movement?

That raises the question of the Vampire Kappa's speed, since its AD&D movement rate is intermediate between the Common Kappa and the Kappa-Ti. I'm thinking it ought to have a 30 ft. ground speed and 40 ft. swim speed.

Many humanoids with a 9" ground speed in AD&D have 30 ft. speeds in 3rd edition.

Remove ads