• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'm a big fan of ray of enfeeblement, so my vote lies there. ;)

Great minds think alike!

That gives us:

Typical Spells Known (6/7/7/5/3; save DC 12 + spell level)
0—spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, 8
1st—disguise self,mage armor, obscuring mist,ray of enfeeblement, true strike,5
2nd—bull's strength, hideous laughter, invisibility, 3
3rd—dispel magic, slow, 2
4th—charm monster, 1

So we're just left with the cantrips. Apart from create water, I fancy ghost sound, resistance and detect magic but aren't so fussed about the other four.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, put those in. The kappa-ti are almost done. However, they're supposed to be "larger, faster, stronger versions of kappa," so we should remember to boost their speed. Land and swim speeds get +10 ft?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We need to differentiate, so I vote to boost the speeds anyway. Besides, I like waffles.

And, if you go back and look, the kappa-ti has twice the movement rating as the common kappa. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
We need to differentiate, so I vote to boost the speeds anyway. Besides, I like waffles.

And, if you go back and look, the kappa-ti has twice the movement rating as the common kappa. ;)

I too like waffles, and agree to swifter speeds.

Cleon

Legend

Dang it, you're right. I wrote it up wrong in my notes - dang copy & paste.

So, add 50% to both (Speed 30 ft., Swim 60 ft.) so the ground speed is the 3E equivalent of the AD&D Kappa-Ti's 12" movement?

That raises the question of the Vampire Kappa's speed, since its AD&D movement rate is intermediate between the Common Kappa and the Kappa-Ti. I'm thinking it ought to have a 30 ft. ground speed and 40 ft. swim speed.

Many humanoids with a 9" ground speed in AD&D have 30 ft. speeds in 3rd edition.

Remove ads