Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Those speeds work for me, including whenever we get to the vampiric kappa.

Fast healing 3 still seems ok to me, but I'm ok with boosting it if you both want.

Ready for skills and feats?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I've updated the Working Draft with the speeds, but haven't changed the Fast Healing to 5. Yet.

Since we've both given an "OK", feel free to proceed. ;)

For feats, the standard kappa has Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw). I declare "Yuck!" for the former, but am OK with the latter if you want to retain it. I like the Improved Critical (claw) suggestion. That would leave one feat. A metamagic feat such as Empower Spell seems a good fit for 'em. Or maybe Spell Focus.

Cleon

Legend
Since we've both given an "OK", feel free to proceed. ;)

Proceeded.

For feats, the standard kappa has Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw). I declare "Yuck!" for the former, but am OK with the latter if you want to retain it. I like the Improved Critical (claw) suggestion. That would leave one feat. A metamagic feat such as Empower Spell seems a good fit for 'em. Or maybe Spell Focus.

Let's give them Weapon Focus to honor the legacy of the standard Kappa.

I don't see any spells in their selection that would get much benefit from Empowering. I prefer Spell Focus (enchantment).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Imp Crit, Weapon Focus, Spell Focus (enchantment) sound fine to me.

It gets 11 skill ranks. Split them mostly evenly between Escape Artist, Hide, and Listen as suggested in the working draft?

Cleon

Legend
Imp Crit, Weapon Focus, Spell Focus (enchantment) sound fine to me.

I'll wait to hear from Shade before updating it.

It gets 11 skill ranks. Split them mostly evenly between Escape Artist, Hide, and Listen as suggested in the working draft?

The 3E Oriental Adventures Kappa has 7 skill points and ranks of Escape Artist 2, Hide 1 and Listen 4.

A Kappa-Ti has 4 more skill ranks and is a size larger, so we could just put all the extra ranks in Hide so it has the same skills as a regular Kappa.

However, the original text says "Their natural camouflage gives them a 75% chance of avoiding detection in the wild", so I'd add a racial bonus (+4 or +8?) to Hide checks when they're in lakes or rivers.

I also fancy giving them some ranks in Intimidate. If common kappa find them repulsive, they might like to frighten other humanoids.

How about giving them a +8 racial to Hide and put their 4 extra ranks in Intimidate? that'd give them:

Skills: Escape Artist +5, Hide +12, Intimidate +6, Listen +6, Swim +16

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, that works for me.

Are the mechanics done after that?

Well all we have to decide is whether we're OK removing the remaining question marks and whether to give them a Level Adjustment or not, and if so what +.

I'm not in favour of a LA, so if the latest update is OK with Shade we only need to figure out the flavour.

Remove ads