Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
It gets the Shade Seal of Approval.TM

I've cut out the questions and Updated.

I'm not entirely sure about the CR 8. They're 8th level sorcerers with superstrength. With the right spell selection a kappa-ti could be a powerhouse.

Still need the flavour text.

How about.

A scaly, hunchbacked creature about the size of a dwarf, with a powerful ape-like build. Its head is flat and plump, like a squashed toad's, with large round eyes, a long nose, and a broad mouth crammed with hooked teeth. The crown of its head has a shallow, bowl-like depression that seems to be full of water. The being's three-toed feet are webbed, while its hands are more manlike apart from the long, razor-sharp talons.

Kappa-ti are more larger, stronger and faster versions of the common kappa. Normal kappa find their more powerful relatives repulsive, possibly because kappa-ti lack the shells of common kappa. Kappa-ti are unsocial creatures who live alone or in mated pairs. In other respects their behavior is the same as normal kappa, including their taste for cucumbers and humanoid entrails.

A kappa-ti stands from 4 to 5 feet tall and weighs about 180 pounds.

TACTICS
A kappa-ti is a cunning combatant. It uses its spells to bewilder and weaken opponents, then attacks with their terrible claws. Kappa-ti try to take opponents by surprise. This may be as simple as leaping from the water, but they may use disguise self to appear as a harmless fisherman, or conceal their approach with an obscuring mist or invisibility spell.

Kappa-ti are not cowardly, but spurn needless risk to their own lives. They prefer to ambush lone travelers, and rarely attack groups without trying to split them up first. A kappa-ti will readily retreat if it meets effective resistance, but may return to attack again once its fast healing heals its wounds, thereby wearing down tough foes. It is wise enough to give up and seek easier prey if an opponent proves too powerful for it.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good. Ready for the vampiric version?

Hold on, we'd decided to expand the headbowl ability so a "dryheaded" kappa-ti lost its spell ability, but I forgot to Update he Working Draft.

Once I've done that I'm happy to proceed.

We were talking about making the Vampire version transformed Common Kappa/Kappa-Ti, are we still going for that?

The flavour text suggests they're just another true-breeding variation on the Kappa.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, that head-bowl is better.

Hmm, you seem right about the vampiric kappa. Well, then. It gets a Str-draining, disease-bearing bite otherwise pretty much like a normal vamp's bite. But do we want the death curse or spellcasting? Make it a template for other kappas? Or an underbar?

Cleon

Legend
Yes, that head-bowl is better.

Hmm, you seem right about the vampiric kappa. Well, then. It gets a Str-draining, disease-bearing bite otherwise pretty much like a normal vamp's bite. But do we want the death curse or spellcasting? Make it a template for other kappas? Or an underbar?

I'm thinking we should have both death curse and spellcasting, and I'm starting to lean toward making them a straight monster rather than a template.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm thinking we should have both death curse and spellcasting, and I'm starting to lean toward making them a straight monster rather than a template.

I'm leaning that way as well. A template that applies only to kappa seems a bit too specific.

Remove ads