Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, the auras sound kind of bardic but are probably best analogous to the marshall (which I don't have). Besides the good Int, they should probably also have quite good Cha, Str, and Con. Maybe racial bonuses on appropriate Knowledge skills, along with maybe Diplomacy (for persuading their employers).

Number 6

First Post
Certainly, bardic inspiration works well as Freyar suggested... and instead of a minimum number of ranks in Perform, the Warmonger would need a minimum number of ranks in Knowledge (tactics).

Their tactical genius could be an Extraordinary ability that allows for a simple morale bonus to attacks or Armor Class or even damage bonus, and perhaps they also have a way of increasing their already normal tactical advantage with their magical nature.

Perhaps they also have additional inspirational abilities... Mongoose Publishing allowed their Noble class to get a +4 Aid Another bonus for combat instead of a +2 bonus. That might work.

Freyar mentioned the Marshal class from the Miniatures Handbook:
Auras (Ex): The marshal exerts an effect on allies in his vicinity. He can learn to produce different effects, or auras, over the course of his career. The marshal may project one minor aura and (starting at 2nd level) one major aura at a time.

Projecting an aura is a swift action (see Chapter 2: Magic). The aura remains in effect until the marshal uses a free action to dismiss it or activates another aura of the same kind (major or minor). A marshal can have an aura active continually; thus, an aura can be in effect at the start of a combat encounter even before the marshal takes his first turn.

Activating an aura involves haranguing, ordering, directing, encouraging, cajoling, or calming allies. A marshal sizes up the enemy, allies, and the terrain, then gives allies the direction that they can use to do their best.

Unless otherwise noted, a marshal’s aura affects all allies within 60 feet (including himself ) who can hear the marshal. An ally must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher and be able to understand the marshal’s language to gain the bonus. A marshal’s aura is dismissed if he is dazed, unconscious, stunned, paralyzed, or otherwise unable to be heard or understood by his allies.

A marshal begins play knowing one minor aura of his choice. As his marshal level increases, he gains access to new auras, as indicated on Table 1–5: The Marshal.

All bonuses granted by a marshal’s auras are circumstance bonuses that do not stack with each other.

Minor Aura: A minor aura lets allies add the marshal’s Charisma bonus (if any) to certain rolls.

Accurate Strike: Bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.

Art of War: Bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts.

Demand Fortitude: Bonus on Fortitude saves.

Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.

Force of Will: Bonus on Will saves.

Master of Opportunity: Bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity.

Master of Tactics: Bonus on damage rolls when flanking.

Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.

Motivate Constitution: Bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution- based skill checks.

Motivate Dexterity: Bonus on Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, and initiative checks.

Motivate Intelligence: Bonus on Intelligence checks and Intelligence- based skill checks.

Motivate Strength: Bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks.

Motivate Wisdom: Bonus on Wisdom checks and Wisdom-based skill checks.

Over the Top: Bonus on damage rolls when charging. Watchful Eye: Bonus on Reflex saves.

Major Aura: Beginning at 2nd level, a marshal can project a major aura in addition to his minor aura. A major aura lets allies add +1 to certain rolls. This bonus improves by +1 at 7th, 14th, and 20th level.

Hardy Soldiers: The marshal’s allies gain damage reduction equal to the amount of bonus the aura provides. For example, if the marshal is 10th level, everyone affected gains DR 2/–.

Motivate Ardor: Bonus on damage rolls.

Motivate Attack: Bonus on melee attack rolls.

Motivate Care: Bonus to Armor Class.

Motivate Urgency: Allies’ base land speed is increased by a number of feet equal to 5 × the amount of bonus the aura provides. For example, the allies of a 10th-level marshal (+2 major aura) add 10 feet to their base land speed.

Resilient Troops: Bonus on all saves.

Steady Hand: Bonus on ranged attack rolls.
With that in mind, I wonder if the Marshal class shouldn't simply be their Favored Class. Not that it isn't good... it's a very good ability, but perhaps we use an alternative.

Surely these guys are not simply encountered on their own. Shouldn't they have Leadership... and a cohort?

I wouldn't mind seeing them as having very high Intelligence and Wisdom modifiers (+5s or +6s) and merely a Strength that looks good and not amazing (+4 modifier).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Leadership isn't necessary for monsters, but we can definitely give them underlings in their Organization line!

We should probably steer clear of the marshal class, except as an underbar, since it is closed content.

Besides the bardic inspirations, we can probably work from spells such as heroism, greater heroism, and heroes' feast for inspiration.

Cleon

Legend
Updated with flavor text. Finished?

Some of its damages are screwy - claw +20 (1d10+8) should be 1d10+9, plus the throwing axes' 1d8+8 and the full attack scimitar's 2d6+8 should both be 1d8+9.

Attack: Scimitar +20 (1d8+9/15-20) or claw +20 (1d10+9); or throwing axe +15 ranged (1d8+9)
Full Attack: Scimitar +20/+15/+10 (1d8+9/15-20) and scimitar +20 (1d8+4/15-20); or 2 claws +20 (1d10+9) and 2 slams +20 (1d8+4); or 4 throwing axes +15 ranged (1d8+9)

Oh, and its Space/Reach should be 10 ft./10 ft. (I've got the nasty suspicion the Guardian Genie has the wrong 10/5 Space/Reach too).

Apart from that I'm OK with it. I did wonder about adding secondary claw attacks to its dual scimitars, but that might be overkill...

Attack: Scimitar +20 (1d8+9/15-20) or claw +20 (1d10+9); or throwing axe +15 ranged (1d8+9)
Full Attack: Scimitar +20/+15/+10 (1d8+9/15-20) and scimitar +20 (1d8+4/15-20) and 2 claws +20 (1d10+4); or 2 claws +20 (1d10+9) and 2 slams +20 (1d8+4); or 4 throwing axes +15 ranged (1d8+9)

...Then again overkill is what slayer genies are all about.:devil:

Cleon

Legend
Certainly, bardic inspiration works well as Freyar suggested... and instead of a minimum number of ranks in Perform, the Warmonger would need a minimum number of ranks in Knowledge (tactics).

Their tactical genius could be an Extraordinary ability that allows for a simple morale bonus to attacks or Armor Class or even damage bonus, and perhaps they also have a way of increasing their already normal tactical advantage with their magical nature.

Perhaps they also have additional inspirational abilities... Mongoose Publishing allowed their Noble class to get a +4 Aid Another bonus for combat instead of a +2 bonus. That might work.

Freyar mentioned the Marshal class from the Miniatures Handbook:

With that in mind, I wonder if the Marshal class shouldn't simply be their Favored Class. Not that it isn't good... it's a very good ability, but perhaps we use an alternative.

Surely these guys are not simply encountered on their own. Shouldn't they have Leadership... and a cohort?

I wouldn't mind seeing them as having very high Intelligence and Wisdom modifiers (+5s or +6s) and merely a Strength that looks good and not amazing (+4 modifier).

I'd rather just give them an Extraordinary "Inspire Troops" SA that afects all their minions/allies/followers within a certain distance. Maybe with a HD limit. Probably gives a morale bonus to attacks, damage and Will saves (or just saves vs fear effect?).

Number 6

First Post
I'd rather just give them an Extraordinary "Inspire Troops" SA that afects all their minions/allies/followers within a certain distance. Maybe with a HD limit. Probably gives a morale bonus to attacks, damage and Will saves (or just saves vs fear effect?).
Perhaps that distance could instead be measured by troops under his command... or simply Line Of Sight. Like you say, use a HD limit on it.

Maybe an Extraordinary standard +1 to Attacks, damage, and Will saves against fear effects... with a once/day or twice/day Supernatural ability to increase that to +2 or +3.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's back up a step and work on the basics.

We know Int is 15-16. The Str bonus directly translates to 18-19. They have the same HD as a djinn, which has Str 18, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 15. How about taking a djinn's scores, lowering Dex, boosting Con and the mental scores?

Perhaps Str 18, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 17?

Number 6

First Post
I'd even suggest a Wisdom of 18. These folks are strong-willed, determined, reasonable, wise, and all that. The Charisma could well be at 20, as a battle-experienced and combat-tested genie... like an officer or even commander.

Cleon

Legend
Let's back up a step and work on the basics.

We know Int is 15-16. The Str bonus directly translates to 18-19. They have the same HD as a djinn, which has Str 18, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 15. How about taking a djinn's scores, lowering Dex, boosting Con and the mental scores?

Perhaps Str 18, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 17?

I'd make the Charisma a notch higher, since they ought to be great leaders. The Dexterity seems too low for a genie who are pretty nimble creatures. How about Dex 15 like a Janni? Since they favour heavy armour they aren't likely to get the full AC bonus from their Dex, but it's the principle of the thing.

Warmonger: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 19 ?

EDIT: I'd also considered cutting the Int to 15, but I suspect we'll need the extra skill points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads