WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland55

First Post
Damn. This is just...

I've really enjoyed working with, and have utmost respect for, everyone on that list. :( If this is accurate, I really, really hope they're all able to bounce back.

As do I. At least the unemployment news has become a trifle less bleak very recently.

Wishing them all the best ...

Roland55

First Post
It's the worst recession of our lifetimes. Almost o industry or company is safe. Saying that, right now, seems pretty silly to me. Just getting a job at any company, much less WOTC, is pretty hard to do right now. And you think people should not try to get that job because the company has a history of laying people off? Really? You think that right now, in this economy, is a sound decision?

Do you think there are hordes of "safe" jobs out there right now for writers, in any industry? I don't. Writing is rarely a "safe" job even in good times. But right now? It's all "unsafe".

There's truth here.

My own industry couldn't be further away from the rpg or media industries. And we're experiencing just as much stress and angst. These are tough times for all professionals ... all workers.

There is some comfort, at least, in being "in it" together.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Good luck to everyone let go. I think we all know just how good you guys are at what you do, I'm sure there are ample opportunities out there.

fba827

Adventurer
Don't know how many now-ex-wotc staff are reading this, but ...

To those affected (whether or not your name appears in big letters on a book -- yes, I'm including you silent desk-jockies in the background who never get much notice), I wish you good luck :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
You never claimed it, but you did imply it.

You said it gave you even more reason to no longer support WOTC, as if you built up to a new decision now to not support them, with this event being one of the factors in that new decision. You wouldn't need "more" reason to make a decision that you already made a while ago.

Mistwell is banned from the thread, for what seems like a continuing attempt to attack someone based on their feelings and decisions.

Once, we'll overlook, but c'mon. You are not a policeman whose job it is to analyse someone elses preferences and/or put words into their mouths.

After discussion, I realise I made a mistake here. I've let Mistwell back into the thread. Apologies to all concerned.

Regards,

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
So with the discussion of WotC potentially hiring or rehiring people in 2010, I had the following thought:

Is WotC still under the Hasbro mandated hiring freeze for all non-critical positions, and if so shouldn't this preclude anyone new coming in to fill any open positions in the 4e group?

Something to consider I suppose.

Hairfoot

First Post
Hasbro fully deserves greater scrutiny of its hiring and firing than smaller publishers. It dominates the RPG industry, publishes the hobby's flagship game and, as others have noted, is riding the success of its newest product line.

If a tiny publisher with half a dozen employees sacks someone, it's most likely in order to stay viable. Hasbro doesn't have that excuse, and regular Christmas lay-offs look like outright bastardry. If it's not, an explanation should be forthcoming to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads