NPC Leader in a Leaderless Party Question

bobcat_grad

First Post
I'm running a campaign right now set in a custom world inspired by a series of books by a popular fantasy author.

We started at level 8, and the party just hit paragon at the last session. Our play group has seen some losses and additions during that time, but I'd bet the group we have now sticks with what we're doing for a long time (at least I hope) as they are really getting into the world/story/etc.

When we started out, the party was Leader-less and I for the time had an NPC cleric (pacifist healer who was absolutely terrified of violence) go along with them. I RP him, but let someone else run him during encounters (and he sat out of the skill challenges). Over time, he's become annoying (and I'm the one RPing him), constantly whining, etc. With where we are in the campaign, there is a perfect opportunity to have the cleric make a graceful exit. Since the party still has no Leaders, I'm debating with myself whether or not to introduce a replacement.

I've come up with a replacement (warlord/bard hybrid) that fits quite well with the time and place of what's going on. I even have an idea on some campaign arcs that are introduced by his existence.

But I'm not 100% convinced if I want to do it. The group is similarly conflicted on the issue. I've opened it up to them on if they want a Leader along or not. The general consensus with them is 'yes, if he serves a purpose other than a healbot.'

Current party makeup is Paladin, Fighter, Wizard, Rangers (archer), and Assassin.

I will say this - the last session culminated in a pretty intense battle, and if the leader hadn't been there, some PCs would have died. Even with him there, there some very tense moments.

So, anyone have any sage wisdom to impart?

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm running a campaign right now set in a custom world inspired by a series of books by a popular fantasy author.

It's ok. You can admit to us that you're running a Twilight campaign. We won't make fun of you.

As for the NPC, my personal opinion is that unless either the story or the party really needs them, a DM run NPC only adds extra busy work.

It doesn't sound like your story needs it. You're set the cleric up as someone who doesn't want to be there, and aren't married to the idea of the new character stepping in.

It also doesn't sound like the party needs it. You don't need to cover every role, and with 5 PCs, they should be able to handle things without you changing the encounters around much to keep them from dying.

My vote would be to have him step out and leave them leaderless.

On Puget Sound

First Post
At some point it becomes the party's job to make sure they have what they need. Multiclass feats, healing potions, lay on hands, heal skill, and feats, items or powers that grant temporary HP or that improve Second Wind are all available to them. If they still feel they need an NPC leader, let it be their idea and their decision to hire one. It's not as if you had only 3 players, after all.

I play in a 5-person group as a hybrid warlord/swordmage, and the only healer, and we do fine. I was originally just a warlord, but re-designed when our paladin quit and our fighter failed to show up consistently, leaving us defenderless (which is a lot worse than being leaderless).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's exactly how War of the Burning Sky starts - the party gets a free Leader who comes along for the first couple of adventures.

It's up to the party to control her, and to what extent she gets involved in combat. So she can pretty much sit combats out, go full in, or hang back and help near the end if needed.

She doesn't get a share of XP unless she becomes bloodied. This motivates the party to protect her. Note that a share of XP going to her is lost, since she's statted as a monster/NPC rather than a PC, and simply levels up at a set rate.

bobcat_grad

First Post
That's exactly how War of the Burning Sky starts - the party gets a free Leader who comes along for the first couple of adventures.

It's up to the party to control her, and to what extent she gets involved in combat. So she can pretty much sit combats out, go full in, or hang back and help near the end if needed.

She doesn't get a share of XP unless she becomes bloodied. This motivates the party to protect her. Note that a share of XP going to her is lost, since she's statted as a monster/NPC rather than a PC, and simply levels up at a set rate.

what happens after the first couple of adventurrs? Does the leader disappear?

aco175

Legend
I remember an older thread where someone wrote about having a NPC join the party for a few sessions at a time, each time a revolving striker because the party did not have that role. The short time (3-4 sessions, 1 dungeon, etc..) allowed the party the role it needed and the rest of the party did not get attached to the NPC. This way he did not share in the magic or xp, maybe account for a few more gold if the party is the sharing type.

The rest of the players were exposed to different types of strikers and each can have it's own personality. I know in my campaign the rate of new characters is slow, so seeing new types of builds before hand may help the players choose in the future. The high number of NPC's allows for quick introduction of story threads and plot tie-ins, especially if the group has a homebase they come back to.

bobcat_grad

First Post
I remember an older thread where someone wrote about having a NPC join the party for a few sessions at a time, each time a revolving striker because the party did not have that role. The short time (3-4 sessions, 1 dungeon, etc..) allowed the party the role it needed and the rest of the party did not get attached to the NPC. This way he did not share in the magic or xp, maybe account for a few more gold if the party is the sharing type.

The rest of the players were exposed to different types of strikers and each can have it's own personality. I know in my campaign the rate of new characters is slow, so seeing new types of builds before hand may help the players choose in the future. The high number of NPC's allows for quick introduction of story threads and plot tie-ins, especially if the group has a homebase they come back to.

I like this thinking. Perhaps I won't have the npc cleric ride off into the sunset. He can just head back to the baron's castle, perhaps to be called on again. Meanwhile, Squire Bradley will step in and fill the leader role for now. I know you can have aleaderless party, but I have a feeling members of my party would drop like flies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
what happens after the first couple of adventurrs? Does the leader disappear?

It's up to the players - she has an easy obvious exit point if they're tired of her or don't need her any more, or she can stick around. She's a fairly important NPC right at the start of the adventure path, but after that it doesn't matter too much.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Now, that's an interesting idea! :)

It's amazing how much it motivates players to protect an NPC! They're desperate to keep her from being bloodied so that they don't lose out on a portion of XP. It works surprisingly well.

Remove ads