Purple Index Cards: On-the-Fly Setting and Plot Collaboration

SabreCat

First Post
Last session "Dammit, Butterfly..." drew the attention of the local fey onto the party Bard|Psion when he played a tune to open a Sigil-Feywild portal. Then he hit with that gorram Augment 2 Dishearten of his. That inspired me to add this to the deck:

Drawing Aggro
Play this card when you hit with a powerful or obnoxious attack, or issue a challenge or taunt. You mark all enemies until the end of your next turn. You may sustain this effect from round to round if you continue to top your prior efforts in power or obnoxiousness, or in the drama or incisiveness of your taunt, on your turn.

Gain Minion XP each round the effect is in play.​

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I started my new campaign, but I never did end up printing and using all those cards, but I do have one that everyone in the group gets that you may want to add to your decks.

Enhanced Critical Hit
Trigger: You score a critical hit with a power, or you are hit by a crit.

Effect: The critical hit is enhanced by additional effects based on the keywords or effects of the triggering attack. Select one keyword or effect from the triggering attack and the DM will apply an added effect to the triggering attack.

Special: If you are the target of the triggering attack, you gain an Action Point after the effects of the attack are resolved.

Special: You can spend an action point to recharge this power.

I have an extensive list of all the keywords and effects that show up in attacks that I can use with this one. This has been a big hit so far, no pun intended. ;)

SabreCat

First Post
I have an extensive list of all the keywords and effects that show up in attacks that I can use with this one. This has been a big hit so far, no pun intended. ;)
Neat! Care to share the keyword effects, or at least some examples? On my edition of the card it'll be simply "collaborate with the DM to determine the exact effect", but I'm curious what you use as baseline. Fire does ongoing 5/tier fire damage (if the attack already caused ongoing fire, add to it), that sort of thing?

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Neat! Care to share the keyword effects, or at least some examples? On my edition of the card it'll be simply "collaborate with the DM to determine the exact effect", but I'm curious what you use as baseline. Fire does ongoing 5/tier fire damage (if the attack already caused ongoing fire, add to it), that sort of thing?
Sure! Since you asked, I'd be glad to share. It's a bit long...

[sblock=Critical Hit Enhancements]Charm: Target is dominated for one round.

Cold:
Target is slowed (save ends). If already slowed, target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Damage Type:
Add ongoing 5 damage per tier to the triggering power. If the power already deals ongoing damage, increase the ongoing damage by this amount, or add an additional ongoing damage effect based on the power’s keywords. Powers that inflict untyped damage can be enhanced to inflict untyped ongoing damage. Unless otherwise noted in the triggering power, all enhanced critical hit ongoing damage is (save ends).

Defence Targeted:
Reduce the defence targeted by the triggering power by 2 (save ends).

Fear:
Target moves its speed away from you as a free action, and will not willingly come closer (save ends).

Fire:
All enemies adjacent to the target take fire damage equal to the attribute modifier you used for the attack, plus half your level.

Force:
Target is dazed (save ends). If already dazed, target is stunned until the end of your next turn. Alternately, you may push the target one square per tier, and knock it prone.

Forced Movement:
Double the distance of any forced movement the triggering power causes. This includes push, pull, slide, and teleport effects. Alternately, if the normal forced movement of the triggering power could be used to force the target to make a saving throw, you can instead choose to apply a -2 penalty to the target’s saving throw.

Healing:
Targets benefiting from the healing effects of the triggering power gain Regeneration 5 per tier (failed save ends).

Invigorating:
Double the amount of temporary hit points gained by using the power.

Lightning:
Target is dazed (save ends). If already dazed, target is stunned until the end of your next turn.

Minions:
All enemies within 5 squares of the target are rattled (save ends).

Necrotic:
Target is immobilized or weakened (save ends).

Poison:
Target is slowed or weakened (save ends).

Radiant:
Target is blinded (save ends).

Rattling:
All enemies within 5 squares are rattled until the end of your next turn.

Reliable:
The power is not expended.

Saving Throw:
The target takes a -2 penalty to all saving throws caused by the triggering power.

Thunder:
Target is deafened until the end of the encounter.
[/sblock]
As you can see, some are not true Keywords in the rules sense, but are still situational, depending on the attack used, and sometimes the target.

Most of the effects are kind of weak, and this is intentional. I didn't want to have players able to completely screw themselves over by using this on their characters all the time. I had tried another system based on the old 2e Combat & Tactics critical hit charts (which I loved), but the effects were too harsh. I had even included things like permanent and semi-permanent injuries.

I don't have an entry for Augmentable because my group doesn't use psionic as a power source.

I may have missed some other keywords or items, so feel free to add to this list and share! I hope you find this helpful and / or useful. :)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
with two games, the cards are seem to be working well:

Rozencratz and Guilderstien are dead was used to kill an artisan who built a bad artificial arm for the party (he died of an infected splinter)

Saved by Kitty Litter was used to open a secret passage in a wall, so the PCs did not have to go through the obviously trapped front entrance. It did not help them with the teeter-totter floor trap, and the secret door spent much of the time 10' above that part of a slanted floor. This challenged melee types and made the fight more interesting for ranged attackers, all eventually entered the room.

This reminds me of the time.. - was wasted.

I notice his tattoo.. The PCs were vieing for taking control of a city, in the week after the (evil) ruler was killed, one of their chief rivals for power was made a secret supporter of the PCs faction. The dust hasn't settled on this one yet but it sure changed the balance of power.

Say that again you insolent Cur was used to provoke a duel with an NPC adventuring party, supporting the one of the other sides for control of the city. (It wans't clear if this was supposed to only be for PC/PC conflict, but the NPCs were notoriously obnoxious, so I went with it.) - functionally it will grant another success/failure in the city control skill challenge. Nice play for a PC with no social skills.

My reward system sucks. I don't use XP so I was using random draws from player advantage cards as minor rewards, and a re-roll as a major award.
- only one of 4 PA cards was used successfully.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Trying to download the latest version you have linked there Sabre Cat and it keeps timing out. Anyone else having trouble with this?

SabreCat

First Post
I've been having trouble getting my ODT and PDF exports to work (the most recent version of OpenOffice seems to have broken Word file conversion), but if .docx will work for you, here's the most recent version: Purple Index Cards

EDIT: Oh, hmm. Maybe there's a problem with the server. I'll contact the Webmistress and post here when I get it resolved.

EDIT EDIT: Fixed! Have at it ^.^

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Well the players have gone an done it now.

after a few basically harmless uses of cards
Rozencratz and Guilderstien killed a lovesick groupie

I am the Rumor mill had volunteer figherfighters chasing an enemy wizard with fire shield trying to escape in a city adventure.

Oooh Shiney! got them some extra cash

They got cocky and added a rumored magical disaster for a momentary advantage.
Using Age of Magic to introduce a magical effect to the battlefield. They had it rain slime to force a dragon out of the air. It also caught a nearby barbarian tribe. (which was they new was already migrating after seeing slime rain in their homeland.) the slime rain turns people into Ooze creatures, its a plot by a demon lord. The party cured disease on themselves, the 300 or so infected barbarians will not be so lucky.

as one NPC commented "the land will be uninhabitable for a generation after this."

Last edited:

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I just want to say that I use this system in my campaign that I have been running for about a year. We introduced the cards about half-way through, and it has been AMAZING ever since. I call the purple cards "Turnabouts," as per Phoenix Wright.

The only thing I do not find awesome about this system is the Achievement cards. I like the idea of them, but they are not very numerous and not very diverse, and sometimes very difficult to achieve in the given session.

Anyway, one of the PC's created a new purple card, here for you all to PEACH and take for yourselves.

I Was in the Box the WHOLE TIME!
Play this card in battle to declare that a new combatant of the party's level has entered the battlefield from a hiding place. Describe the new combatant; at least some of the information you impart will be true.

Gain Minion XP,
or Monster XP if the new combatant is an adversary.
+ Minion XP for a shocking or amusing explanation of the new combatant's entrance or motivation.
+ Monster XP if the new combatant survives the encounter and becomes a new NPC .

Last edited:

Remove ads