L4W Discussion Thread V

Son of Meepo

First Post
From what I've seen, the best way to make vampires unique is the hybrid rules. In one of my games I'm running here, one player is a hybrid vampire/ardent that feeds off the emotions of others rather than blood.

treex

First Post
Ah, yes. I forgot about that. And now I recall something about divine vampires that can get rid of their weakness to direct sunlight... Sparkling shardmind vampires....

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Or maybe, just maybe, the idea of vampire CLASS as opposed to RACE (like Revenants) is stupid. I know I probably shouldn't be so diplomatically direct, but that is the way I feel. Vampire is not something you pick up as a career choice.

BenBrown

First Post
I always figured the vampire was unsupported because it was mostly thrown in as a sop to people who were saying "I wanna play a vampire" not because anybody at WotC had any real desire to have a vampire class.

Mind you, this idea doesn't really hold up all that well when you consider the other stuff that's unsupported, but that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

Or maybe, just maybe, the idea of vampire CLASS as opposed to RACE (like Revenants) is stupid. I know I probably shouldn't be so diplomatically direct, but that is the way I feel. Vampire is not something you pick up as a career choice.

I disagree completely. Unlike a race, which is a set of traits that make all of its kind very similar, there are so many different vampire stories (the originals of which actually make the vampire much more akin to the legend of the werewolf than our iconographic mystic bloodsucker) that it is impossible in my mind for it to be a race. There are so many different attributed types of vampires, everything from the Bram Stoker Dracula, to the Bela Lugosi Dracula we know and love, to the more human Anne Rice vampire (which in my mind is the big catalyst to mainstream vampire love), and lastly, the sparkly, emotional vampires of Twilight.

Take a look at the White Wolf Vampire games. Hell... in that game, not only is vampire your "class"... but it even further delineates into which CLAN of vampire you are, giving you specific traits associated with just that.

So to make it a race in DnD... you are neutering everyone's ability to create the kind of vampire they want to play. Unforutnately, WotC has done just that, anyway, by giving us practically zero ability to make any power choices for the vampire class.

treex

First Post
Actually, vampires all boil down to one thing: absorbing the life force of another creature, be it the sanguine type or the emotional type.

It's not so far fetched to see a vampire race with a racial like that, fluffed to taste. I'm not too sure about the racial traits, though. There are many types of vampires...not that I've read many vampire novels or watch dem movies, read that entry on TvTropes (Our Vampires are Different, or something)

On the other hand, I do want to be able to customize my vampire to fit the image that I have. I don't want a vampire fighter that swings an two-ton blade most of the time while taking a bite out of someone when I feel the munchies. I want it to be a full-time job...

I'm so bad at sticking to one side...I always end up arguing from both sides of the mirror *rolls eyes*

treex

First Post
So....I thought I'd ask here then there...
[MENTION=36973]stonegod[/MENTION] mentioned in the Tavern thread that there are classes that grant Expertise Feats?
Which ones? And would it be legal to use said feats as prereqs to other feats?

Remove ads