L4W Discussion Thread V

rb780nm

First Post
i'm "rolling" up a thri-kreen monk - I can't find anything saying yea or nay regarding the Dark Sun races (I don't care about themes or wild Psi or anything more specifically DS at the moment - maybe a racial feat or paragon path later, but thats a long way off at the moment) - is there an official word? I think the requisite month has passed, and Sound of stone is with the Judges - but I wanted to bring him to the tavern, but I was going to wait before I do that, in case he upsets people by being illegal.

garyh

First Post
Personally, I see ignoring the Expertise feats, old and new, and continue with the house rule of +1 to hit at level 5 as the least bad alternative.

I like the new special effects on the expertise feats. They really help give the different weapons and implements flavor, and make your choice on that front matter. I wouldn't want to go with a flat +1.

garyh

First Post
i'm "rolling" up a thri-kreen monk - I can't find anything saying yea or nay regarding the Dark Sun races (I don't care about themes or wild Psi or anything more specifically DS at the moment - maybe a racial feat or paragon path later, but thats a long way off at the moment) - is there an official word? I think the requisite month has passed, and Sound of stone is with the Judges - but I wanted to bring him to the tavern, but I was going to wait before I do that, in case he upsets people by being illegal.

Dark Sun has been out long enough that it's legal. I don't think we're allowing themes at this point, but races, powers, class features, feats, weapons, and the like are fine.

renau1g

First Post
Everything from DS is allowed, except:

* Themes
* The ability to start with wild talents (the feat that gives you three can stay)
* Arcane Defiling
* Anything that has the above as an requirement

Walking Dad

First Post
Has anyone else noticed that the October errata, contains none of the changes they were talking about?

Complete reworking of visions of avarice, different racial bonuses, etc...

Was that little press release the errata on these, or did they just not make up their minds?

see this post:

Hmm. I found a strange thing.

The above mentioned "October 2010 Updates" is quite small. It does not even contain the racial stats changes and other revisions suggested by "Changes Coming in Essentials" article.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Changes Coming in Essentials)

On the other hand, if you click "Rules Updates Archive" and read the "Compiled Rules Updates" there, you see those revisions are included as updates for PHB and such.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Official D&D Updates Archive)

Hmm? Does that mean the design team has forgot to add those revisions into "October 2010 Updates" file?

Or, are they considering "Changes Coming in Essentials" to be, actually, a kind of "September 2010 Updates" or something?

This kind of "stealth" update is very, very inconvenient.

Looks like the essentials update was official errata...

BTW, anyone else not able to reach the wizards homepage?

evilbob

Explorer
Here is my wishlist for what the "web-based system" will be:

- an online character builder that completely replaces the downloaded program
- stores character data in the cloud
- creates links to your completed sheet which can be accessed by others

Not only would this solve like a million problems here in PbP, but it would also solve like a million more, including giving all Mac users a chance, WotC not having to make updates to 2 sources, and being great for people who currently use CB on multiple machines.

They NEED something like this: they REALLY REALLY need it. This is how the world of software works now.

The only downside is that it would be more difficult to make sure one person didn't purchase a license for multiple people... ...which is why they'll never do it. /cry

renau1g

First Post
Or be able to use the CB when not connected, like when I travel, or be able to use the updates you've paid for if you stop the monthly fee. Nope, I sure hope they don't cancel the off-line availability of the CB. I've already cancelled my auto-sub just in case.

Otakkun

Explorer
Here's what I'm hoping for:

-A web tool similar to iplay4e, letting you upload your characters from the CB, but also letting you modify them as you play (and then exporting the modified file as well.)
-A web tool similar to masterplan. That way you'd be able to build encounters using all the info available on the compendium without having to download it to your computer, something that WotC has been adamant in preventing so far.
-A simple, easy to use, map editor with all the maps from dungeon & dragon in both cleaned up versions and tagged ones, intended for all the online players <-- yeah right, but I can still hope.

Remove ads