Monk Paragon Path: Drunken Master

bryanlo

First Post
Absolute spot on! Definitely one of his paragon powers. However need to distinguish it from the other Paragon Path:

Draconic Torrent [Attack Technique]
Encounter
bullet.gif
Fire, Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + Dexterity modifier fire damage.

Maybe 1 target + any adjacent enemies take 2d8 + 5 ongoing fire save ends?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Here's my take on it. I made it quite powerful because it can only enact its abilities every second encounter as they rely on an action point to initiate a condition. The condition is the same as dazed so the path has no movement techniques, only attacks and utility powers and class abilities which function whilst the condition is in effect.

The +4 AC bonus might seem high, but it's essentially only a +2 since it's off-setting the dazed CA.

http://www.users.on.net/~kzach/drunkenmaster.pdf

bryanlo

First Post
Nice I like the powers - but the dazed condition seems iffy to me. It removes one of the class traits that being mobility, plus drunken style to my mind doesn't reduce your ability to act. Perhaps the balancing act should be along the lines of, the alcohol makes you reckless and insensate to pain. Therefore you get a to hit and damage bonus and you get a certain number of temps, but due to your recklessness you grant CA.

Again, I like Drunken Stagger, and love the Fiery Burp one.

I'm gonna watch Drunken Master again later. :D

Kzach

Banned
Banned
It doesn't sacrifice mobility so much as it limits actions. The character can either attack or move, but not both. Remember that the full discipline powers can be used either as a move or an attack so it still has mobility, it's just that if it chooses mobility, it loses an attack that turn.

It's hard to focus on multiple things when you're falling down drunk. I think that represents the style quite well. Jackie was either moving or attacking, rarely both. And even then, he can STILL do all of that, as long as he's not inebriated.

I should've included that the character can end the Inebriated state if they like.

I'd also include two style feats:

Potable Mastery (Drunken Master Style)

Prerequisite: Monk

Benefit: Whenever the character drinks a potion, he also gains the benefit as if it was a healing potion of the same level or lower. Therefore when consuming say an Elixir of Dragonbreath (7th-level), the character benefits from both the Elixir and the benefits of a Potion of Healing (5th-level).

Headbutt Charge (Drunken Master Style)

Prerequisite: Monk

Benefit: When performing a charge action, the character can use any of the following at-wills that they know and in addition do not provoke attacks of opportunity as part of the charge action.

At-wills: Crane's Wings, Dragon's Tail.

bryanlo

First Post
Maybe as a compromise:-

Before or after every attack, you can also shift a number of squares equal to your wisdom modifer.

Crap I just watched the end fight and the shift doesn't work, his attacks are all very head on and in your face.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Crap I just watched the end fight and the shift doesn't work, his attacks are all very head on and in your face.

Heh, yeah, hence why I thought it would be good to be powerful but limited. He's not always fighting drunk, but when he does, he becomes almost like a berserker, ie. very powerful but lacks control and finesse.

The prone shifting, and immobilisation immunity, though, still works. He's on the ground during several fights, IIRC, and dodges, blocks, parries, trips, etc. without getting up.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
You can also look to the 2 "Drunken" powers already available in the Monk's arsenal for inspiration:

Drunken Monkey [Monk 1]
Celestial Drunken Boxer [Monk 27]

I love Drunken Monkey.... especially the movement portion... really handy!

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Celestial Drunken Boxer is absolutely awesome. The image it gives me is so very cool.

As to the paragon path, some good ideas here so far. Let me see what I can contribute:

Sway Like a Drunk (11th level): Nobody knows what to expect of your wild movements and crazy actions. You gain paragon defenses as a bonus feat. At 21st level, you can retrain this to robust defenses.

Drunken Master's Action (11th level): When you spend an action point, creatures grant you combat advantage until the start of your next turn.

Fluid in Motion (16th level): You take no penalties while prone, and can crawl without provoking opportunity attacks.

Fire-Breathing Monkey Drunken Master Attack 11
You take a swig of something potent and spray it back out, catching it aflame.
Encounter * Fire, Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic
Attack Technique
Standard Action Close
blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Dexterity modifier + Strength or Wisdom modifier fire damage.
Movement Technique
Move Action Personal
Effect:
Shift your speed.

Staggering Movement Drunken Master Utility 12
At-Will
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger:
You are missed with a melee or ranged attack.
Effect: The creature rolls the attack again, but the target is no longer you; it is a creature adjacent to you other than the attacking creature.

Drunken Boxer Drunken Master Attack 20
You shudder and stumble, yet there is a method to your madness. Each move is perfectly timed to mislead your enemies, causing them to attack each other.
Daily * Implement, Psionic
Standard Action Close
burst 2
Target: Each enemy in burst
Special: Before the attack, you can shift up to 4 squares
Attack: Dexterity vs. Will
Hit: The target makes a melee basic attack as a free action against one enemy of your choice. The target gains a bonus to the attack roll and the damage roll against that enemy. The bonus equals your Strength or Wisdom modifier.

Last edited:

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Wow! I like what I see here. Someone put some serious thought into this and how to model the Drunken style in the 4E rules framework. =) Have some XP. This is my first XP given - Enjoy!

Some small comments here -

Robust Defenses - I am not sure how I feel about it, but you have picked an elegant way to model it. I am not sure if extending outside of the Paragon area is a good idea, but doing so allows the benefit to scale. Very interesting. Is there a precedent somewhere for this sort of action?

Fire Breathing Monkey
The Movement Technique does not grab me. It is consistent with other monk abilities. I would almost prefer shift your speed. It is a little slower but includes not provoking opportunity attacks, plus there are some feats etc... that (Mark of Passage amongst others) that increase your shifting. =)

Staggering Movement - very cool, but it almost might be a little much as an AW Imm Int? I love the visual! Very cool!

Thanks for the work!

Remove ads