Scientifically Correct Or Fun?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I ususally don't have that much of a problem with inaccurate science. As others have said, it partly depends upon how much the story is trying to be "hard" scifi.

With that said, I have my one major exception to my tolerance. As a microbiologist, it just drives my insane when a scifi story has some wild thing about a bacteria or the instant development of a cure for some infectious disease. I'll take it if it is "alien tech," but that's about my limit.

I think it has a lot to do with how close you are to the subject matter. My father, who was a lawyer before he retired, would sit there and scream at the television anytime my mother would turn on a show like L.A. Law. The "good TV drama" aspects that would never happen in a real courtroom drove him insane.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
As much to 'both' as you can get; Dr. Who is usually the only show that ever manages this because they'll at least bother to explain things. I have no problem with Spitfires in space if they have an alien gravity bubble engine on them - that'll easily let you do everything you see them do in the episode.

There's only a few things that will tick me off. The main one being: if you have been playing at least close to reality, you don't get to suddenly and without explanation cross that line. Probably the last time I ever got semi-disappointed with the science of a show was an episode of Above and Beyond where one of the pilots was in the classic 'The Cold Equations' situation, but manages to get out of it simply because (apparently) she wants badly enough for her plane to have fuel to make it back to base. No explanation, not even a flimsy rationalization etc.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Probably the last time I ever got semi-disappointed with the science of a show was an episode of Above and Beyond where one of the pilots was in the classic 'The Cold Equations' situation, but manages to get out of it simply because (apparently) she wants badly enough for her plane to have fuel to make it back to base. No explanation, not even a flimsy rationalization etc.

I wasn't familiar with 'The Cold Equations', so I looked it up The Cold Equations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and was pleased to be introduced to something I'd not come across before.

Thank you sir!

Remove ads