Unconfirmed: More Layoffs at WotC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgewood

First Post
Just so I understand this, and perhaps those who worked at WoTC in the past could clarify, but when one is hired, do they have you sign a term contract? Do they advise you that this is not a permanent arrangement? With WoTC's record for laying off folks (no matter how talented, or seemingly integral they may be), that must create a hostile work environment if they don't. Can someone enlighten?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Layoffs suck. I hate that word, but it's the right word. They suck for everyone involved. I can't believe that Jesse Decker got it. As an outsider, that just seemed like a name that would somehow last the ages....Good luck to everyone - I hope you find a job you are passionate about (or you get to retire or something).

lurkinglidda

First Post
Just so I understand this, and perhaps those who worked at WoTC in the past could clarify, but when one is hired, do they have you sign a term contract? Do they advise you that this is not a permanent arrangement? With WoTC's record for laying off folks (no matter how talented, or seemingly integral they may be), that must create a hostile work environment if they don't. Can someone enlighten?
Most employees are "at will." Perhaps 10% are on contract.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Case in point. I now market seafood. These people wouldn't know an orc if it hit them.

Would they know a sahuagin? ;)

All kidding aside though, its sad to hear about Peter and Jesse leaving also. WotC seems to be whittling away at all the D&D guys I know faster than they're letting new talent grow in their company. :(

Dausuul

Legend
They don't have to. This isn't the Supreme Court.

Granted, but this isn't a question of legal obligations. It's about professional courtesy and, frankly, basic good management. If you hire people and tell them it's only for a year, and then after a year you let them go, they'll be more productive and creative than if they spend their days waiting with bated breath for the axe to fall.

Layoffs are BAD. If you just need some short-term labor, hire temps or bring in freelancers. But laying off long-term workers should be reserved for emergency situations, where you have a great yawning hole in your balance sheet and no other way to bridge the gap. And if you do find yourself in that situation, it's important to be up front with your workers about what you're doing and why. Layoffs as an ongoing strategy are moronic.

Last edited:

Flatus Maximus

First Post
Granted, but this isn't a question of legal obligations.

If they signed a contract, then there might be some surprise (shouldn't be if they are students of history) but they still get paid. Otherwise, they are just like the rest of us. I'm not saying it ain't a cryin' shame...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
To all those laid off, or those facing lay offs, or those who may be hired in the next month or two who will inevitably be laid off, may I suggest a cathartic game of mini golf?

uuadQFxPZ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads