No more WotC Star Wars site

Zaran

Adventurer
Does anyone else think it was a big mistake for WotC to lose the Star Wars license? I noticed today that they can't even keep the web site up. Their contract ended in May.

What's sad is it took until just before Christmas before I could get people in my gaming group to even try it and they have really liked it. I have to wonder if anyone else is going to try to restart the Star Wars RPG franchise. Seems to me WotC would be the only company big enough to tackle it.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I think they were doing a superb job with it, and it's a massive shame that they didn't renew. Ironically I'll be running my very first SAGA Star Wars game in a couple of weeks.

Festivus

First Post
While I wish they would have renewed, the license must have been pretty pricey. WoTC could design their own generic space game that players could easily reskin. Wasn't there something in the TSR days that was like that?

Nebulous

Legend
For what's it's worth, there are enough Saga supplements and backlog miniatures for anyone to run a Star Wars game for the next ten years. The only problem is going to be the skyrocketing price once everything is oop.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Alternity Roxors!

It was needlessly complex in some places, but it is a lot of fun!

Hmmm.... the game, I thought was made available free on WotC's site. I think they may have taken it down.... =(

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
There comes a point in every game system when there's just nothing left to create for it so far as rules supplements and books large enough to justify the expense of keeping a staff on payroll to make them. At that point, you either stop making them or you create a new edition.

As SAGA was WotC's second edition of a Star Wars RPG, and running on the mechanics that were a precursor to their current horse of D&D 4E... they must have figured the money was not right to justify jumping into a third edition of the Star Wars rules. Especially since it would need to be an advancement over the SAGE/4E stuff... and they are still in the midst of riding that horse and are probably not ready to begin thinking about putting it out to pasture.

In addition, with the release of Gamma World upcoming, posters above are probably correct in that WotC could create a new space game using straight 4E mechanics like Gamma World is, if they so chose.

Festivus

First Post
I have been picking up a box or two of minis when I want to buy something to support the local stores. I have the two book I really wanted from the sets (core rulebook and Clone Wars), don't need much else to play. Once the minis run out, watch those prices zoom up.

Zaran

Adventurer
There comes a point in every game system when there's just nothing left to create for it so far as rules supplements and books large enough to justify the expense of keeping a staff on payroll to make them. At that point, you either stop making them or you create a new edition.

As SAGA was WotC's second edition of a Star Wars RPG, and running on the mechanics that were a precursor to their current horse of D&D 4E... they must have figured the money was not right to justify jumping into a third edition of the Star Wars rules. Especially since it would need to be an advancement over the SAGE/4E stuff... and they are still in the midst of riding that horse and are probably not ready to begin thinking about putting it out to pasture.

In addition, with the release of Gamma World upcoming, posters above are probably correct in that WotC could create a new space game using straight 4E mechanics like Gamma World is, if they so chose.

I don't agree that they ran out of products to do for Star Wars. They can never have too many ships. A book on Stock Light Freighters would have been awesome. A book of planets. West End had a box set that was devoted to a rebel corvette that was just awesome for adventure hooks and ideas. Plus they could have made adventures. Sourcebooks made for each series would be have grand as well. Pretty much anything that can help GMs add their adventures into the universe without having to make up just about every thing.

Remove ads