Ultimate Magus and Practiced Spellcaster feat

Herzog

Adventurer
I am planning my feat selection for my Ultimate Magus, and just realised I will not be able to take Practiced Spellcaster before the level of Ultimate Magus that grants a bonus to the lowest spellcaster level.

Which led me to this question: If I gain a feat at the same l get to add a spellcasting level to the lowest level, and I take Practiced spellcaster (sorcerer) to make my sorcerer level higher than my wizard level, does that allow me to increase the level of wizard? Or do I gain the benefit of the feat after all the class benefits are resolved?

pawsplay

Hero
Since practiced caster can be applied anytime, it is customary to apply it last, or second to last before anything that would boost you over your character level.

However, and this is very important, caster increases are not a bonus, they are how caster level is calculated in the first place. In other words, your caster level should be:

(base class level + caster level increases from Ultimate Magus)
+ Practiced Caster
+ Arcane Spell Power

This WILL affect what constitutes the lowest caster level class. Note that you could purposefully apply Arcane Spell Power before Practiced Caster when making this calculation, but there is no getting around applying Practiced Caster.

Herzog

Adventurer
I am aware of that.

What I want to know is: can I apply the Practiced Spellcaster bonus to determine the lowest caster level in order to determine which spellcasting class I can increase at the same level I take the feat?

Empirate

First Post
I believe it's one of those "apply what's most beneficial first", so you shouldn't have a problem. Most DMs will probably let you select a feat gained by character level (1st, 3rd, 6th etc.) before you select which class level to take for said character level. You might be in trouble if you were getting the feat as a bonus feat from that class level (like a fighter bonus feat gained from a fighter level), but this seems not to be the case here.

pawsplay

Hero
Actually, selecting a class to level in is the first step when you gain a level; you have not gained a level until you do so. Using your bonus feat, or even a class bonus feat, for Practiced Caster should not be a problem at all.

Herzog

Adventurer
Found my own answer (helped by pawsplay) :)

PHB p. 58: Level advancement.

Although step 1 is selecting a class (probibiting you from qualifying for a class with a feat gained at that level), you gain feats at step 7, spells at step 8 and class abilities at step 9.

increased spellcasting could either be listed under spells or class abilities, but since both are listed after feats, I guess I'm alright.

thanks all for helping out!

Remove ads