D&D 5E Cartomancer feat - OP at high levels

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But as a 1st level Cleric/16th level Bard I could pick a 9th level Cleric spell since I would have 9th level slots!
That's how it is written, but I would require someone in my game to be able to cast the spell in order to pick it. Not for balance reasons, but rather because it doesn't make sense for someone who is a level 1 cleric to create something with a 9th level cleric spell.

If a player really wanted to use this for theme reasons I would have it work similarly to a ring of spell storing. You cast the spell into the card in the morning, using a slot (and material components if applicable), then can activate it later as a bonus action.

So only spells you can cast, no extra slot, but can cast two spells in one round.

Last edited:

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
If a player really wanted to use this for theme reasons I would have it work similarly to a ring of spell storing. You cast the spell into the card in the morning, using a slot, then can activate it later as a bonus action.

So only spells you can cast, no extra slot, but can cast two spells in one round.
Would you require it to be a spell they know, or does it just have to be on their class list?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Only known spells. For logical reasons. It doesn't make sense for a sorcerer to be able to cast an spell the don't know. I would allow spells from other sources, such as feats or race, to be stored though.
Yeah it's a super weirdly designed feat. The other thing is, it's VERY different from the Unearthed Arcana version. It's like someone saw the UA version, and just decided to throw it all out and write up a new one just before the book went to ship.

1712860217988.png

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If a player really wanted to use this for theme reasons I would have it work similarly to a ring of spell storing. You cast the spell into the card in the morning, using a slot (and material components if applicable), then can activate it later as a bonus action.

That's a lot of investment just to set up an extra cantrip in one round of the day. Or are you saying you'd allow them two spells of 1st level or higher in one round, which is actually pretty good?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator

Seems reasonable. The feat is very poorly written, but I feel that one should go with a reasonable interpretation instead of trying to divine what the designer and/or the editor might have been thinking.

Remove ads