Desert of Athas DU7 Dungeon Tiles - Review (image heavy)

SyntaxBlitz

First Post
Hi! I'm new to these forums. Sorry if this is in the wrong section; if it is, move it please. ^^
I've decided to share this awesome tile set with the rest of the world.

Quickie Review:
Durable Tiles, great looking, 3D tiles are pretty cool. 9/10.

You get two sheets of 3D tiles and four of 2D tiles. I think it's a fine balance. The retail price for these is $11.95. Some of the 3D elements in this one
would be a good addon to DT2.

This is what the sample map looked like when I put it together:
IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

**The 3D pieces**

They were a bit of a nuisance to punch out, and a bit of the paper got torn. It's not really noticeable when put together, though. Just like Harrowing

Halls, there are no instructions on how to put them together, but it's not extremely hard. Some of the pieces fit together a bit too loosely or a bit too
tightly- but if you turn the piece around, it will generally fit better.
You get a cart,
IMG_1255.jpg

A trading stall,
IMG_1254.jpg

A little building, with separate stairs that lead up to it,
IMG_1263.jpg

which also has an old house on the other side.
IMG_1274.jpg

You get a couple of walkways; a 2x8, and a 2x4. They have two sides: wooden,
IMG_1276.jpg

and stone.
IMG_1275.jpg

I also had four stray pieces:
IMG_1277.jpg

I had what looked like a sarcophagus and three other pieces. I was able to put two pieces together,
IMG_1278.jpg

and then put it onto the sarcophagus. But I still had a leftover piece.
IMG_1280.jpg

At least there was only one leftover piece this time.

**The 2D pieces**

These are the 2D pieces from the set. You can see that it has lots of silt, as well as a lot of desert. It also has some transitions from grass, which
might look good up to say, DU5, Sinister Woods.

This is the sample map with the pieces 'exploded':
IMG_1269.jpg

And the other side of each respective piece:
IMG_1270.jpg

These are the 2D pieces that aren't in the sample map:
IMG_1272.jpg

And the other sides:
IMG_1271.jpg

These are my ratings:
Ease of use: 8/10 - You can figure out how to put most of the pieces together quickly, but instructions would be helpful.
Quality: 9/10 - Full color durable cardboard. The 3D punchouts might tear if you're not careful, but you should be fine.
Price: 9/10 - $2 per sheet, like all of the other tile sets. The 3D sets have six sheets, while the 2D ones have five.
What's on the tiles themselves: 9/10. You have lots of silt and sand, which is good for Athas. You can also transition from another tileset that uses
grass, which is nice. My main problem is that some of the things, like the stray sarcophagus and the roof of the yellow side of the house are more for
inside of a desert tomb instead of outside, but that just makes them all the better for using with DT2.
What's on the 3D tiles: 7/10. As you've seen, they don't all fit perfectly with Athas necessarily, but they are definitely good tiles to have.

Overall, this isn't one of those sets where you want duplicates of half of the set and want to throw out the other half- this set is pretty awesome. I give it a nine out of ten.

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
My only complaint is that on the other side of the wooden bridge/dock/walkway/whatever, they used the standard gray dungeon stone, instead of the orangish stone used in the Dire Tombs set and on the stairs/platform in this very set.

Otherwise, I look forward to my order arriving.

SyntaxBlitz

First Post
My only complaint is that on the other side of the wooden bridge/dock/walkway/whatever, they used the standard gray dungeon stone, instead of the orangish stone used in the Dire Tombs set and on the stairs/platform in this very set.

Otherwise, I look forward to my order arriving.

I agree- I don't see how I'll ever use the stone side of the bridge. The wooden side would be useful to connect two of the houses if you had two sets, though.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This is the first sand set, right?

Why isn't there a big tile with only sand? I hope we find that in the Master (Wilderness) set.

Cheers!

Zaran

Adventurer
That happy little trading stall with the striped awning does not mesh with my conception of Athas. :)

Otherwise it looks good.

I thought the trading stall is pretty useless as anything but decoration. and we could have had that with a 2d tile. Seemed like a waste of card space.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases