D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 smart, tricky fighter build help please

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
At the very least, take Barbarian at level 1 if you're planning to be one at all.
Reasons:
1) At level 1, skill points are multiplied by x4. Barbarian gets 2 more skill points each level than a Fighter, so at level 1, you're getting EIGHT more over him.
2) At level 1, HD is maximized, and barbarians get 12 while as fighters get 10. At leater levels, unless your DM is awesome, you'll probably have to roll for it each level, and the odds of rolling high on a d12 aren't much better than the d10.

EDIT: If I were doing it, I'd probably go Barb 2 (Uncanny dodge is sexy, Improved isn't quite as much), then Fighter for a while because I'd probably feel feat starved by that point. Then possibly go back for another 2 in Barb several levels later. Up to you, though.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Now, wanted to explore the Barbarian for the first 4 levels.

Then you would go to Fighter from there or Rogue?

If you go Barbarian/Rogue then don't be a dwarf as you will face an experience point penalty.

Barbarian/Fighter can be a dwarf without that penalty.

Oh and check with your DM. Some DMs don't allow players to take the evil alignments.

Rolemancer

First Post
Yeah, the campaign is sort of strange that way. The DM is running an evil campaign and it will be the first one I am playing in. Talked with the players to make sure we don't have any in-fighting or any of that garbage.

Barbarian was tempting but I went straight Dwarf Fighter and will take ability scores and builds as listed in the thread.

Thank you all very much for the great character advice!

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you want to make a reach-tripping warrior. I recommend you to be a Dragon Disciple instead of Blackguard unless you definitely want to be a Blackguard.

Tripping is based on attacker's strength. You don't need to worry much about touch attack as this is relatively easy. Strength + other bonuses from feats and weapon are the things which make your tripping success. So, BAB does not help much.

Even starting as a Half-Orc barbarian may work. Dragon Disciple will eventually gain +2 to Int and thus you can qualify for Improved Trip at that time.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
That's why a Barbarian dip isn't a bad choice for Rage (MOAR STRENGTH!). But some Enlarge Person spells alone will help a lot. It's +5 to trip (+4 size bonus, +1 additional strength modifier) and the reach to completely threaten a full 20 ft radius around yourself with a spiked chain. I think Fighter alone can work.

OP, just make sure your DM is familiar with the rules for AoOs and how they disrupt the action that provoked them. So when you use your AoO to trip an enemy charging at you and completely end his turn (and give him a followup attack with Improved Trip for his troubles!), the DM doesn't balk. Really, I have a tripper right now and i don't do much tripping on his actual turn. I mostly use it on AoOs to stop moving enemies and make their lives miserable. :)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Potions are 250 gp per shot, last for 5 minutes.

...I never noticed that... Why the hell are they listed for 250 gp (which had better at least mean CL 5). Should be 50 gp a for a nice one battle hit (Cl 1 = 1 min. duration, good enough).

*Shrug* I was mostly thinking of having the necromancer cast it on him, or buy the necro a wand of it to use on him, anyway. Much more economical.

Dandu

First Post
...I never noticed that... Why the hell are they listed for 250 gp (which had better at least mean CL 5). Should be 50 gp a for a nice one battle hit (Cl 1 = 1 min. duration, good enough).
Possibly a copy+paste error when they updated everything to 3.5, since the spell required a CL of 5 in 3.0 to be effective.

hippos purros

First Post
rogue/fighter builds

i have made a build for a character who was a "pirate" in the terms of he is built like a fighter but has thrown some rogue lvls in for the occasional cheap shot because we all know pirates dont play fair. I am lvl 17 and i have 5 rogue/ 12 fighter, currently my feats are:
weapon focus falchion
weapon specialization falchion
greater weapon focus falchion
greater weapon specialization falchion
combat expertise
dodge
mobility
spring attack
whirlwind
improved critical falchion
quick draw
power attack
cleave

my character uses a frost/flame burst falchion with which he crits on
15-20 and has a 3d6 sneak attack.

now my dm has just had all his maps destroyed and decided the campaign had gone on long enough so hes throuwing us to lvl 25(epic) and im completely lost on my build for epic, i had only had bregga planned up until level 20 and i need help where to go from there

at level 20 he were to be a 15 fighter/5 rogue (dwarf btw)
stats would be
str 32
dex 18
con 24
int 14
wis 14
cha 13

can anyone help? i dont know how to build an epic character and all my books are missing

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases