Would any of these Star Wars creatures pass as a D&D creature?

Klaus

First Post
Nexu -> Howler

Weequay -> Xeph or Hobgoblins

Mynock -> Stirge, Gnaw Demon, Shadowhunter Bat

Yuuzan Vong -> Legion Devil, Shadar-Kai, Foulspawn

Talz -> Yeti or Su-Monster (MM3)

Aqualish -> Since Quarren = Mind Flayers, I'd posit Aqualish as an illithid-servitor race

Geonosian -> Swordwing

Most of the others can be chalked up to demonic creatures, or maybe as Dark Sun versions of regular D&D creatures.

Last edited:

hamishspence

Adventurer
Shadowhunter bat is the 4E version of the dragazhar bat in Monsters of Faerun.

Swordwings, I think, were in MM5 (or something approximating them was) before appearing in 4E

Su-Monsters are a very old monster that was in 2nd ed but not 3rd ed- 4E brought them back. Think of them as vicious tree-monkeys.

As a D&D version of the talz:

Another yetilike (but Medium) D&D creature- the Taers, in Unapproachable East. Smarter than yetis, they are Medium creatures of the Giant type. They might do.

Klaus

First Post
Shadowhunter Bats and Swordwing are 4e.

Su-Monsters have existed since 1e.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by hamishspence!

Quarren are the squid-headed species that share the Mon Calamari homeworld:

Quarren_Bounty_Hunter.jpg

Voadam

Legend
The molator could be a zombie golem using an illithid head and possibly giant body parts (arm bones).

The monok looks like an Erol Otus style Kuo Toa fish man type with odd coloring. Large size though would need something like an enlarge person spell.

The large ng'ok looks like an otyugh or neo-otyugh to me.

The large k'lor'slug makes for a good monstous centipede.

The houjix looks a bit like those ethereal filcher types.

The Kintan strider would make an OK ogre. Eh.

Mantellian Savrip = weredinosaur (brachiosaurus maybe)

Talz = yeti

Blood carver = jaundiced gith.

Yuzhan Vong = corporeal undead in that picture, ghoul or ghast or something like that.

Mynock, stirge definitely comes to mind.

Caamsi looks planar with the wierd animal head thing going on. Perhaps a variant rakshasa instead of the classic tiger or mantis heads.

The blue rodian would not be a bad kuo toa.

Aqualish would be thanoi (walrus men) from Dragonlance

The weequay look a lot like a desert humanoid race in one of the Everquest RPG monster books, either monsters of Norrath or Monsters of Luclin. I forget their name though. Possibly OK for a githzerai.

The Nexu looks a little like a Krenshar with the face peeled back.

For the genosian I would agree with the abeil beefolk except that the face/head is so distinctively different.

ferratus

Adventurer
I use Yuzang Vong for Githyanki minis, and I know I'm not the only one.

I would love to get a hold of a Palpatine mini for a generic black robed wizard.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I'll have to take a look at my 4e MM that I have in storage to compare some of the suggestions that have been given. I don't play 4e, so I wasn't considering those creatures. :p But I would like to make the minis readily available in case I ever was in a 4e game & couldn't find a use for the minis in my 3e game.

I would love to get a hold of a Palpatine mini for a generic black robed wizard.
The Darth Sidious mini was one of the first Star Wars minis I added to my D&D minis collection. There are a lot of really good Star Wars minis that are great human D&D minis. I really stocked up on a lot of Star Wars minis that work great as wizard/sorcerer & commoner minis.

I'm all out of the Darth Sidious minis on my website. But an Emperor Palpatine on Throne mini might still make a good D&D mini:

RPG Locker

Nebulous

Legend
i've used lots of SW minis in my 4e campaign. I think the Yuzan Vong would make excellent githyanki and githerzerai. Actually, my gith "box" is a mix of real D&D minis and suitable Star Wars minis. Heck, even Wookies could be used as some sort of primal humanoid, although they have such a distinct SW familiarity it might pull players out of the genre.

Remove ads