Divine Intervention in D&D games

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Gods and Artifacts: Use them or why have them?

In some of my more recent game, I have been making a direct effort to involve gods and artifacts in my game much more often. The reasoning is simple enough.

- Why have a pantheon of gods that never actually do anything directly ever?
Self explanatory. The gods either do something in your campaign, or they do not.

- It focuses the players attention.
If you have multiple plot hooks going on in your game, it might not be obvious which ones are important to the long term plot arcs, especially if you have to choose from "the fetch quest from the mysterious wizard", the "mission from a powerful noble lord", "the mystery surrounding recent goblin attacks in several towns", and "the recent falling star impact that lit up the sky". But if one of those hooks came about by way of direct communication with a god, then that one is probably going to stick out.

- Using a god will give you better suspension of disbelief if you need to suddenly hand wave something.
Gods and artifacts by definition exist just outside the rules that everything else in game need to follow. Your players might ask why the powerful necromancer was able to do something the players are not allowed to do. They wont ask why a god can do things their characters cannot.

END COMMUNICATION

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Divine intervention can work the other way, too.

Have you ever had a PC Cleric p--- off his god to the point where the god goes !ZOT! and strikes him down to a pile of ash?

In 26 years of DMing I've seen an awful lot of Clerics give an awful lot of backtalk to their gods...and finally, last weekend, one of my game's less tolerant deities - already very annoyed with the Cleric in question - just happened to be listening at the time.

!ZOT!

Lan-"surprised it took 26 years"-efan

hopeless

Adventurer
Divine Intervention

The other discussion about "Gods, planes, afterlife, and the common man" got me thinking about this. It seems that most people 'round here have experienced far more direct divine interventions in their D&D games than I have.

What has been your experience?

As a Player/PC, have you had direct contact with gods in a game?

Bullgrit

The only time I've seen a divine intervention it was behalf of a fellow player who had a visitation fron his patron deity thereby enchanting his weapon.
Everybody had to save vs paralysis and my character was the only one who passed and simply watched rather amused at the time.

I figure divine intervention should be used sparingly about as much as having important figures from the game setting turning up but its up to the dm to make it work and the above did even if the reason for it wasn't as apt as noted in this thread.

hopeless

Adventurer
Divine Intervention

The other discussion about "Gods, planes, afterlife, and the common man" got me thinking about this. It seems that most people 'round here have experienced far more direct divine interventions in their D&D games than I have.

What has been your experience?

As a Player/PC, have you had direct contact with gods in a game?

Bullgrit

The only time I've seen a divine intervention it was behalf of a fellow player who had a visitation fron his patron deity thereby enchanting his weapon.
Everybody had to save vs paralysis and my character was the only one who passed and simply watched rather amused at the time.

I figure divine intervention should be used sparingly about as much as having important figures from the game setting turning up but its up to the dm to make it work and the above did even if the reason for it wasn't as apt as noted in this thread.

JoeGKushner

First Post
My earlier gaming years were heavily inspired by Michael Moorcock's Elric series so yes, the gods were in high play often.

I also used to use a lot of campaign supplements and cross the prime material planes a lot, so the clerics would often have problems relying on their gods all the time and became fighting men of no small waters and started finding/inventing magical items to continue to use their abilities or in some cases, start up churches of their own.

I've also had gods act as mentors for characters. For example, the Prince of Swords from Greyhawk. When one of the players told me he wanted to be the best with swords, the old god took him under his wing in disguise and was like Rocky's mentor in that he offered harsh advice but wasn't stepping into the ring with him.

As a player, yes. Missions direct from the divine, missions with the divine bringing forth their most powerful servants, etc...

Aegeri

First Post
My players in my 4E FR game defended Celestia and were aided in that inevitably by Bahamut and some other metallic dragons. I have Bahamuts stats so why not? It was pretty cool for them and I got to run a creature I would be very unlikely to ever use otherwise.

That1Merc

First Post
For me, I have the god(s) walking around the world, interacting with it, and every day or week, roll a d-100 to see if the god happens to be in their general vicinity. To counter-balance a world-ending powered NPC walking around, I give them a glaring Flaw, normally that contradicts them. For example, I have a god that is pictured by their followers as the most religious of the gods. This god, is in fact,
extremely cynical, wondering who created the gods, and if such a being exists. Or, a god of war, and ambition, that CONSTANTLY kills things, essentially being in berserk mode 24/7. A god of knowledge and life and magic that, rather stereotypically, stays in the middle of a forest with bunnies. Then we have a god of Death, Trickery, and the likes that tends to be a massive drunk. On top of that, I gave the God of Death to my Co-DM, so he can make that NPC change their face and become anyone they want. The man of many faces from game of thrones. So the PC would interact with gods every once in a while and have no clue its a god. Thats me though.

Mercule

Adventurer
I was in middle school when I started playing 1E AD&D. After hitting a high enough level, the group encountered Demogorgon and beat him (middle school, remember). One of the books (L&L or DMG, probably) had a line about gods having a 1% chance of hearing their name, if you called it out. The same was true for demon lords, but we interpreted that as a "blind hearing" on their part that might compel them to show up. Anyway, whenever the game got slow, the barbarian would start chanting "Demogorgon, Demogorgon, Demogorgon...", prompting me to roll dice until he showed up. As stupid as it was, it was actually kind of funny to narrate a demon prince shrieking like a little girl upon seeing the PCs, which is why I let that character get away with it even after I realized it shouldn't work that way -- I just never gave him more XP for it.

I think we also had one random roll (d%, again) that raised a PC, on the spot.

Otherwise, the only time the gods intervene in my games is when they zot someone whose gnome starts acting like a Krynn tinker gnome or halfling starts acting like a kender.

Remove ads