D&D 4E Disarming in 4E

It will be dead only when we stop arguing over rules.

So I say: disarming? Even if you could, you'd have a hard time figuring what penalties to give out. Only MM1 and MM2, and even then barely, used actual weapons/stats. With MM3, you'd have to use some fudge as [MENTION=22362]MoutonRustique[/MENTION] suggests: weakened, or maybe -2 atk (as an improvised weapon), or both.

Then you can use the Holy Page 42, or simply state that it's a normal attack because a -2 to attack is comparable to an at-will effect, and you're not dealing damage.

The other thing is: if the weapon is on the ground, it's either nothing for the monster to pick it back up, or if they manage somehow to carry it away, then well the PC might well start doing this each and every time there's a weapon involved. In that case, make sure that the next Ogre is twice as angry and deadly *without* the flail...

So the better solution is probably, again, [MENTION=22362]MoutonRustique[/MENTION]'s skill challenge version. (But then it may be that I like the nickname). Make the Ogre REALLY FEARSOME with his flail, and make it clear to the players that they have to get rid of it or be mashed into pulp.

So, [MENTION=31304]TarionzCousin[/MENTION], clearly you are now enthralled by the prospect of gathering your party from 7 years ago and re running that encounter?

Agreed. If you want to have a disarming challenge, really make it specifically that. Because the truth is that IRL people don't bother much to disarm opponents, unless they're forcing them to surrender (in which case just use non-lethal damage rule). Its too much of an opportunity cost. I mean, IF you're going to do it at all, make it do NO DAMAGE, so at least the character is balancing the lost opportunity to hurt the guy vs trying to nerf him.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
So, [MENTION=31304]TarionzCousin[/MENTION], clearly you are now enthralled by the prospect of gathering your party from 7 years ago and re running that encounter?
Er..... no.
geno.gif

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So the better solution is probably, again, @MoutonRustique's skill challenge version. (But then it may be that I like the nickname). Make the Ogre REALLY FEARSOME with his flail, and make it clear to the players that they have to get rid of it or be mashed into pulp.

I am picturing an example of a Skill Challenge being presented for heroic Tier where the Ogre is known to knock down towers with incidental damage from his flail and a mentorish NPC insisting they simply must figure out how to get it away.

Ie its a McGuffin skill challenge indeed

Remove ads