Fortune Cards: and randomized collectible cards come to D&D

jbear

First Post
Now, I do think randomizing things is a lot of fun, and I wouldn't mind those as a supplement to the game, but if I had to spend $10 to get the mere possibility of an awesome weapon/monster/character/adventure/combat/whatever, I wouldn't be very interested. I'd just play Diablo, where at least my lack of control is accompanied by bright lights and cool sounds.
I'm going to play Diablo and D&D!!!!

Have you seen what they are doing with Diablo 3!!!???!!!

It's going to be AMAAAAZING!

sorry, back on topic... blush*

Dire Bare

Legend
Seriously, I hope these collectible products fail and that we don't see any more of them, ever. There are other things they're coming out with (Ravenloft boardgame for one) that I'd much rather have succeed.

Now I've never quite understood this attitude. If I don't particularly care for something, but it is obvious that others do . . . I don't have any desires for it to fail. I just don't purchase it myself. Why such negativity towards something that others find fun, just because you don't?

Imaro

Legend
Now I've never quite understood this attitude. If I don't particularly care for something, but it is obvious that others do . . . I don't have any desires for it to fail. I just don't purchase it myself. Why such negativity towards something that others find fun, just because you don't?

I can see it from a "limited resources" perspective as well as a "supplanting what I like" perspective as well.

In other words the money, resources, manpower, etc. they spend on something I don't like means less goes towards what I do like. However if it fails those resources could be allocated back to something I want.

As to the "supplanting what I like" perspective... if something does well they may decide to supplant one/some/all of the things I enjoy with this new thing I do not.

Scribble

First Post
I can see it from a "limited resources" perspective as well as a "supplanting what I like" perspective as well.

In other words the money, resources, manpower, etc. they spend on something I don't like means less goes towards what I do like. However if it fails those resources could be allocated back to something I want.

As to the "supplanting what I like" perspective... if something does well they may decide to supplant one/some/all of the things I enjoy with this new thing I do not.

I can understand I hope what I enjoy succeeds- But hoping something else someone else enjoys fails seems kind of... Wrong for some reason.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Didn't you get the memo? Any reservations or hints of dislike for the latest offerings for anything means that the sky is falling and you should seek shelter to avoid having your tinfoil hat crushed. ;)

I find an aircraft grade aluminium alloy preferable for my headwear needs. It holds up better in the event of a sky falling mishap.

Imaro

Legend
I can understand I hope what I enjoy succeeds- But hoping something else someone else enjoys fails seems kind of... Wrong for some reason.

Eh, but it often boils down to someone else's enjoyment stepping on your own (either directly or indirectly) when it comes to a single company with limited resources to allocate.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I like "pretty" too. I just think that those that produce the best RPG materials are those that love them, not those motivated by corporate level profits. This can happen within any company and at any level, of course. Just because you are CEO doesn't mean you don't love gaming, and just because you're a freelancer doesn't mean you have even played, let alone love, the game you are working on.

But, chances are, if someone put a game together on their own time, with their own resources, they love that game and it'll show in the material, whether or not it's "pretty".

There are tons of indy games that were made in the 90's. They weren't pretty, but they were made by people who really an truly loved their game and their hobby. People spent a long time crafting these tabletop games for others to enjoy, regardless of the fact tht they were just one small group of people making it.

And you know what happened?

They sucked. Turns out enthusiasm isn't a replacement for skill. You can't replace quality with love. People didn't play Vampire: the Masqerade because the editing and book format was terrible, they played it because it was fun to play.

In the splat avalanche at the birth of the OGL, probably hundreds of fan made submissions hit every website and FLGS. Most of them were made by people who really and honestly thought their product was amazingly good. They were made out of love. And they were also terrible.

In both of these examples, the byproducts died. They didn't make money, so now they aren't being made anymore. I really hope for the sake of the hobby as a whole that your desire for it does not come true.

Reynard

Legend
ProfessorCirno said:
There are tons of indy games that were made in the 90's. They weren't pretty, but they were made by people who really an truly loved their game and their hobby. People spent a long time crafting these tabletop games for others to enjoy, regardless of the fact tht they were just one small group of people making it.

And you know what happened?

They sucked. Turns out enthusiasm isn't a replacement for skill. You can't replace quality with love. People didn't play Vampire: the Masqerade because the editing and book format was terrible, they played it because it was fun to play.

In the splat avalanche at the birth of the OGL, probably hundreds of fan made submissions hit every website and FLGS. Most of them were made by people who really and honestly thought their product was amazingly good. They were made out of love. And they were also terrible.

In both of these examples, the byproducts died. They didn't make money, so now they aren't being made anymore. I really hope for the sake of the hobby as a whole that your desire for it does not come true.

90% of everything is crap. Yes, we know. However, you failed to either disprove my theory - after all, wasn't Vampire a labor of love? - or prove the opposite - during the same period there was plenty of "cash in" crap produced by "professional" companies, not least TSR.

In addition to merely stating the obvious, your position also ignores a basic truth: not everything that succeeds is good, and not everything that fails I'd crap.

Remove ads