Fortune Cards: and randomized collectible cards come to D&D

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
There's a type of card for telling my character how to feel about a situation?

Games like Call of Cthulhu have insanity checks. D&D has always had fear effects. These cards seem to be an attempt to emulate the overwhelming forces the Shadowfell places on a character's mind. Don't know if they'll accomplish that, but it seems better than the original "Tales from the Darkside"1 flavor of the Shadowfell.

1 For those too young, I'm referring to the opening credits of the show where the real world flips to a photo negative view. IOW, merely a dark mirror of the material world.

MrMyth

First Post
There's a type of card for telling my character how to feel about a situation?

I'm pretty sure the Despair cards are a Ravenloft/Shadowfell product, so it's probably the equivalent of "make a save or flee in terror" - just in card form as compared to a random table or the like.

Honestly, I'm much less concerned about these upcoming products, nor do I see any indication that "cards are the future of D&D". Deck of Many Things has existed for ages, despair cards fit the theme for the Shadowfell environment. Both are complete decks included as part of a larger product. Neither involve randomization or collectability.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Despair cards fit the theme for the Shadowfell environment.

And I'm kind of intrigued by the anti-CoC-insanity aspect of becoming more resistant to the Gloom of the Shadowfell. Don't know if I'd buy these, but I'm more interested to see these cards than the other offerings.

Ashy

First Post
A totally different approach would be the one we've taken: instead of inserting randomized cards as a supplement to your favorite game, strip away the randomization and the blind packaging and distill everything in your game into a card. This reduces the overall footprint of what you bring to a game, changes the paradigm of what you HAVE to buy to that which you WANT to buy, and still gives you all the flexibility and fun of a traditional RPG.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
A totally different approach would be the one we've taken: instead of inserting randomized cards as a supplement to your favorite game, strip away the randomization and the blind packaging and distill everything in your game into a card. This reduces the overall footprint of what you bring to a game, changes the paradigm of what you HAVE to buy to that which you WANT to buy, and still gives you all the flexibility and fun of a traditional RPG.

[MENTION=312]Ashy[/MENTION]: Looks interesting. Send me a demo set and I'll run your game at the Chicago Gameday on February 26th instead of the 4E game I'm planning to run.

Remove ads