Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
If these are anti-banshee, I'd rather boost the HD. MM2 banshees have 26HD, but I'm willing to bet that 2e banshees had more like the 5 listed here. (As another reference, even the Paizo banshee from Pathfinder AP#17 is 14HD.)

Just off the top of my head, I think they have 7HD in AD&D.

Hold on a sec, I'll check...

1977 Monster Manual Groaning Spirit (Banshee) - 7HD.
1989 Monstrous Compendium Vol 2 Groaning Spirit (Banshee) - 7HD.

Yup, 7 Hit Dice.

I'd rather make them 5 HD, but if you're both set on something higher how about 12 HD to the Pathfinder version's 14, just to keep the "2 HD lower" relationship with the original.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's it, though it's a fan conversion to the pathfinder rules. Funny, I tried looking for it on that site and didn't see it. Must have been too incorporeal. ;) Looks about the same, though, and I'm having some cut/paste troubles from that PDF.

EDIT: I definitely want to boost to at least 12HD if not more. The regular banshee got boosted from 7HD to 26 in 3.X!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm happy with 13HD (though more isn't bad :)). I just really don't think 5HD makes sense considering the treatment the banshee has gotten (from several sources) and wanted to respond to Cleon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'll increase the Homebrews entry to 13 HD. Do ability scores need adjustment as well?

Homebrews: Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 15
Pathfinder Banshee: Str —, Dex 32, Con —, Int 5, Wis 20, Cha 21
MM2 Banshee: Str —, Dex 17, Con —, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 17

RavinRay

Explorer
Why does the Pathfinder banshee have a low Int? I'd think it would have the wits to use its deadly abilities to great effect, unless it's so tormented by its cursed existence that it affects its Intelligence. I like the homebrew stats as they are

Remove ads