Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Oh, it definitely is the embodiment of deathless.

Thus, to play within the OGL, it should get this underbar:

Cariad Ysbryd as Deathless
If you are using <i>Book of Exalted Deeds</i> in your campaign, cariad ysbryd are deathless rather than undead.

We can also give it a "deathless" ability that summarizes some of the usual deathless differences from undead.

Yes, we'd better do that to keep everything above board.

As for the stats, can we use anything from the 3E version of the Banshee?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yes, we'd better do that to keep everything above board.

As for the stats, can we use anything from the 3E version of the Banshee?

Well, the banshee got a huge boost in 3e, but its stats aren't too crazy:
Str —, Dex 17, Con —, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 17

Its HD put it closer to a wraith:
Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15

RavinRay

Explorer
Not too big a difference in stats there so tweaking shouldn't be hard.

As a creature with deathless traits we'll have to specify later the differences as per turning/rebuking, positive/negative energy, etc.

Cleon

Legend
Well, the banshee got a huge boost in 3e, but its stats aren't too crazy:
Str —, Dex 17, Con —, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 17

Its HD put it closer to a wraith:
Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15

The AD&D Cariad has Exceptional Intelligence (15-16), so how about a Banshee's Int and Wis and a Wraith's Dex and Cha?

Cariad Ysbryd: Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 15

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oh, it definitely is the embodiment of deathless.

Thus, to play within the OGL, it should get this underbar:

Cariad Ysbryd as Deathless
If you are using <i>Book of Exalted Deeds</i> in your campaign, cariad ysbryd are deathless rather than undead.

We can also give it a "deathless" ability that summarizes some of the usual deathless differences from undead.
Sounds like the way to go.

In addition certain artists gain particular benefits from associating with a cariad ysbyrd, as her singing serves as inspiration to singers, poets and bards. Spending 1-6 months in the company of a cariad ysbyrd gives a bard a permanent bonus (equivalent to an extra level of ability) when using his voice for special effect such as inspiring his riends or countering the effects of a harpy’s song.

This will be interesting. Maybe an inherent bonus of some type to bardic music?

freyar

If these are anti-banshee, I'd rather boost the HD. MM2 banshees have 26HD, but I'm willing to bet that 2e banshees had more like the 5 listed here. (As another reference, even the Paizo banshee from Pathfinder AP#17 is 14HD.)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm willing to boost 'em, although 26 HD still seems excessive. Since her song doesn't kill, maybe half the bashee's HD (which ends up on par with the Paizo version)?

RavinRay

Explorer
The MM2 banshee does have excessive HD, so bringing the cariad ysbryd up to par with the Paizo version instead sounds better.

freyar, is the Paizo banshee OGC?

freyar

13 HD will work with me.

I'm certain that the Paizo banshee is OGC, but it doesn't appear to be on-line. I'll try to remember to cut/paste it in here when I'm with my PDFs tonight.

Remove ads