Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Quite nice! I'd make the required healing spell heal, as picking one of the spells on the cure x wounds change feels odd.

Doesn't feel odd to me. It's a wound, isn't it? Still, I was divided between whether to use cure serious wounds or restoration.

Heal seems too high level for the effect, so how about using restoration instead?

I left out the 2 hit points damage per round bit, mainly because I thought the SA's description was long enough.

Cleon

Legend
Sure, restoration is a good fit.

Updated.

So how much damage and how many days to heal naturally? Broken bones usually take weeks to heal.

Six weeks to knit, another six to regain full function seems a reasonable approximation. These are compound fractures though, which may take longer to heal.

Say 2d4+4 weeks?

How much damage do we want the shattering to do? 1d6+4 like the original?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That healing period makes sense.

It seems the damage should be greater. Maybe 3d6+6? That seems reasonable for its probably CR range.

Cleon

Legend
That healing period makes sense.

It seems the damage should be greater. Maybe 3d6+6? That seems reasonable for its probably CR range.

Hmm, I would have no objection to increasing the damage. How about giving it "lingering damage" - say, 2d6+4 on the first round and 1d6+4 on the second round - as a homage to the original's damage per round?

Cleon

Legend
I'd be amenable to that idea.

Revising...

Shatter Bone (Su): Four times a day, a visceraith can try to shatter a limb-bone or jaw-bone of a single opponent within 60 feet. Shatter bone cannot affect boneless creatures, but can harm creatures whose skeletons are made of chitin rather than bone, such as most vermin. The opponent must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or suffer compound fractures in the targeted bone, which inflicts 2d6+4 damage. The round after the bone is shattered the opponent takes an additional 1d6+4 damage.

In addition to the damage, a shattered bone imposes the following penalties: a body part with a shattered bone lacks the Strength to hold and carry objects or make attacks, held items are dropped, but worn items are not dropped; if a shattered limb is used for locomotion (for example, a leg), the target's speed drops by three-quarters and Dexterity suffers a -8 circumstance penalty; if a shattered limb is used for manipulation (for example, an arm), the target's Dexterity suffers a -8 circumstance penalty and all spells with somatic components require a Concentration check (minimum DC 15); a target with a shattered jaw bone suffers a -8 circumstance penalty on skills checks requiring speech and all spells with verbal components require a Concentration check (minimum DC 15). The save DC is Charisma-based.

A shattered bone normally takes Z days to heal naturally (half that time if DC 15 Heal checks are used to provide long-term care), but can be instantly cured with a restoration or higher-level healing spell.

Alternatively, instead of secondary damage we could honour the 2hp/round by having a shattered bone do 1d4 damage when the victim makes a move or standard action, with a Fort save to negate?

Something like:

Shatter Bone (Su): Four times a day, a visceraith can try to shatter a limb-bone or jaw-bone of a single opponent within 60 feet. Shatter bone cannot affect boneless creatures, but can harm creatures whose skeletons are made of chitin rather than bone, such as most vermin. The opponent must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or suffer compound fractures in the targeted bone, which inflicts 2d6+4 damage. Whenever a creature with shattered bones makes a move or standard action, it must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or take an additional 1d4 damage. The Fort DC and damage increases by +1 for each extra limb or jaw bone that is shattered (e.g. DC 1d4X+2 and 1d4+2 for three shattered bones). A DC 15 Heal check can immobilize a victim's shattered bones and prevent this additional damage.

*rest the same*

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I prefer that last one. That makes good sense.

Updated.

Supported in this fashion, the visceraith moves among the living, concealing its nature under robes. The bone spirit resides where it can lead a secluded existence, though it might hire servants or find companions. Living residents in the home of a visceraith are usually treated well, but the bone spirit is not above murder to protect its identity.

Skills: 7 at 10 ranks
Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device?

Feats: 3

Cleon

Legend
Skills: 7 at 10 ranks
Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device?

Those look fine to me.

Does it need any ranks in Listen, Spot or Sense Motive? We could shave 2 points off six of those skills and give them 4 points in three sense-skills or 6 points in two sense-skills.

Maybe: Bluff 8, Concentration 10, Diplomacy 8, Disguise 8, Knowledge (arcana) 8, Spellcraft 8, Sense Motive 6, Spot 6, Use Magic Device 8

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good. Updated.

Spell Focus (necromancy)? Spell Penetration? Weapon Finesse (to aid its skeletal attacks)?

Environment: Any?

The bone spirit resides where it can lead a secluded existence, though it might hire servants or find companions. Living residents in the home of a visceraith are usually treated well, but the bone spirit is not above murder to protect its identity.

Organization: Solitary or retinue (1 plus 1-12 humanoid companions)?

Challenge Rating: 8-9? Its spellcasting sets it at CR 7 minimum, and shatter bone is quite powerful.

Treasure: Standard?

Alignment: Usually neutral evil?

Advancement: By character class (wizard)?

A visceraith without a skeleton is x feet long/in diameter and weighs x pounds. While wearing a skeleton, it stands 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 feet tall and weighs x to x pounds.

A visceraith speaks any languages it knew in life (usually Abyssal, Common, Draconic, and Infernal)?

Remove ads