Pathfinder 1E Scotley's and Leif's Constables of the 14th Ward - Main Action Thread [3.5E D&D] [IC 04]

Leif

Adventurer
In the Wily Wyvern, Felderman Whimsywag

Felderman strolls over to the constables' table, "What brings you gents so far out in the Fields of Clay? It can't be anything good, can it? Are we safe here? Where's Darius, uh, Constable Watson I mean?"

Rhun

First Post
Felderman strolls over to the constables' table, "What brings you gents so far out in the Fields of Clay? It can't be anything good, can it? Are we safe here? Where's Darius, uh, Constable Watson I mean?"

"It's never good, I'm afraid. But nothing for you to worry about."

Leif

Adventurer
In the Wily Wyvern

Felderman looks hurt, "Say, well, maybe I ca help you constables out then. You'd be surprised what a guy can hear around a place like this if he listens a little bit...."

Lou

Explorer
Ederaul Mamier

Raul tells Feldeman, "Constable Watson is on special assignment. We don't know when he'll be back. So what local stories involve a young woman, a scoundrel of a lad, and a priest? Perhaps revenge by a jealous admirer?"

Leif

Adventurer
In the Wily Wyvern -- Felderman Whimsywag

"Hmmm, that does remind me a little of an old tune, a Clayfields Classic, you might say. Except for the part about the jealous lover -- that's not in the song. You see, the song starts off as the tale of a lass, a 'soiled dove' you might say. She is on her way home at night, having just confessed her sins of the flesh to her priest, when she is set upon in the dark by a creature of the night most fell and foul who rends her poor, frail body to shreds. Then her attacker follows her trail back to the temple, where he kills the priest. Following her trail further back still, the monster comes upon her lover. Now some bards sing it where the love is a valiant warrior who rises up and slays the monster. Myself, I've always preferred the version where the monster eats the lover's living heart before his dying eyes. Want me to sing it for you?"

Helfdan

First Post
"Please sing it, good minstrel.". Alarion nods at the others on hearing the sad tale, any details will help. "But first, do you know what temple this tragedy happened at, by chance?"

Leif

Adventurer
In the Wily Wyvern -- Felderman Whimsywag

"Temple? Oh, no, this didn't happen at a temple. There is a priest in the story, but no temple. Now, let me tune my lute and clear my throat...<ahem>"

OOC: In the interest of keeping what little momentum we have, I'll follow Lou's and Helfdan's advice and instead of giving you Felderman's full song and leaving you to interpret it for yourselves, I'll just spell out for you the relevant information you are able to glean from it. Criminy Farful-fluffing Sandbag Britches Twitches, that is not the way I wanted this to turn out!

Felderman sings you a sad, sad song about a Clayfields "working girl" who was killed in the night by a vengeful "spirit" (?) of some sort. This thing is evidently on a spree of some sort, because it slays several types who are out on the streets after dark in Clayfields, including at least one priest and one thief/crook. The upshot is that the creature has become something of a legend around here, and every once in awhile, someone who is out alone later than he should be never returns home again. The song/legend/rumors do not specify whether this is just one creature or possibly more than one, or at least a different one at times. There have been no living witnesses left to tell the tale properly.

OOC: If the Constables can now articulate some questions for Felderman, he'll do his best to answer, but I warn you that he does not know anything firsthand and only sketchy generalizations second- or third-hand.

Last edited:

Remove ads