Umbran asked what actions would it take for WOTC to 'make it right' for me. Here ya go!...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
My conditions are simple. The more new ogl 1.0 products get released, the more D&D and MTG stuff I'll buy. If things in the MTG front also improve, I'll go back to buying ponies, transformers and Hasbro games. As a corollary, if no more new 1.0 material is available for sale, I'll only buy older D&D and MTG stuff, preferabily from second hand, and will take my money to Yugioh and PF2. (Who am I kidding? I'll likely go to BRP and DSA instead) And all of the money I spend on toys will go to Mattel, Bandai, and LEGO. The kid is nearing teenagehood so this will get easier over time.

If this is satisfied I'll also go back to the One D&D playtest, and if that is good, I'll buy the core books, the starter set(s) and whatever cool crossover they put forward.

If in addition, the licensing is good enough (without poison pills and without draconian clauses tha legally prevent me from signing up in good faith. -copyright laws in my country are onerous -), I'll also cobtribute material to help support the new edition.

Last edited:

s
My conditions are simple. The more new ogl 1.0 products get released, the more D&D and MTG stuff I'll buy. If things in the MTG front also improve, I'll go back to buying ponies, transformers and Hasbro games. As a corollary, if no more new 1.0 material is available for sale, I'll only buy older D&D and MTG stuff, preferabily from second hand, and will take my money to Yugioh and PF2. (Who am I kidding? I'll likely go to BRP and DSA instead) And all of the money I spend on toys will go to Mattel, Bandai, and LEGO. The kid is nearing teenagehood so this will get easier over time.

If this is satisfied I'll also go back to the One D&D playtest, and if that is good, I'll buy the core books, the starter set(s) and whatever cool crossover they put forward.

If in addition, the licensing is good enough (without poison pills and without draconian clauses tha legally prevent me from signing up in good faith. -copyright laws in my country are onerous -), I'll also cobtribute material to help support the new edition.
I respect your approach. I like hearing how each individual is sifting out their personal ethical practices.
What country are you based in?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Years ago, I made a faux press announcement and website which showed WOTC opening up their world/setting IP to commercial 3PP. I was roundly dogpiled, and the thread locked. Unanimously, every EN Worlder said that it was an IMPOSSIBLE FANTASY.

Soon afterward, WOTC announced DMs Guild.
And it's only taken 8 years for a handful of their setting IP to be released to those who are willing to play within the DMs Guild, with the other handful still locked off.

And if all those things on your list are your requirements for you to play D&D again... it makes me wonder why you were playing D&D even before the 1.1 OGL was released, since most of them weren't being done beforehand either. So apparently WotC hasn't been making things right for you this entire time?

GetInTheHole

Explorer
Whew. That's a lot.

Personally, I'm only a collector these days. I have not played D&D since the mid-80s. I have all of 1stEd on my bookshelf. Over Covid, I have all of 5e, every book. However, my threshold for "what crap I'll deal with" is very low. I've given up better hobbies for less. My name is a golf moniker and I've given up more golf over less than WOTC shenanigans than I can shake a stick at.

I moved to collecting more OSR stuff than anything. I have very little motivation to continue to support 5e/1D&D.

Will I? Maybe. But It's not because of some "I can't live without it" motivation.

And it's only taken 8 years for a handful of their setting IP to be released to those who are willing to play within the DMs Guild, with the other handful still locked off.
Yeah, it's a bummer that Mystara and Greyhawk (and others) are still locked down. But, in the scheme of things, it was amazing that so many worlds have been opened up for commercial publishing! (Nearly) unthinkable prior to that.
And if all those things on your list are your requirements for you to play D&D again... it makes me wonder why you were playing D&D even before the 1.1 OGL was released, since most of them weren't being done beforehand either. So apparently WotC hasn't been making things right for you this entire time?
#1 is essentially the basic requirement, which most people are calling for.

#2 If a 1.0b is issued, it seems to me, that it logically and legally follows that the previous WotC SRDs would need to be re-stamped with a 1.0b.

#3 (release the SRDs under ORC) and #4 (release SRDs for the earlier editions) were not thought up by me, but have been voiced by various posters in various forums and twitter. As extra proofs of goodwill.

#5 is a no-brainer, if WOTC wants to make money off of previous editions. If they had done this years ago, much of the money that went into the OSR publishers would've instead gone into their cut of DMs Guild Legacy Edition 3P content. I guess WOTC figured D&D players were too stupid to sort through which edition of D&D each DMs Guild product is made for.

#6 and #7 are personal hurts I have experienced from WOTC's apathy. Why not add them to my list of amends? It's my list, not yours. Write your own.

#8 (gifting the World of Aebrynis to the Commons) is a creative 'extra-healing' gesture which I thought up. I mean, why not? Can you imagine any future in which BIRTHRIGHT becomes a significant source of income for WOTC?

#9...And there are actually many other things which I left out.

In regard to your suggestion that I must not have been happy with WOTC before this backstabbing...

…PLEASE NOTE: These 9 points are not a bare list of actions which would return the situation to some sort of previous status quo, but what extra-healing actions would be necessary to dispel the fact that I now know they are dishonest greedy gaslighting backstabbing bastards.

Someone in another thread said: "It takes 5 actions of goodwill to heal 1 breach of trust. And that's just to get to a neutral level. It doesn't address what is necessary to move forward into genuine trust and warmth."

My 9 points go into what extra-healing is necessary, to show that the execs, as human beings, can ethically change.

Last edited:

My perspective is that WotC acted out of either greed or thoughtlessness and imperiled the livelihood of numerous friends of mine. It is akin to either driving drunk or intentionally trying to run someone over.

Whoever was behind the wheel needs to get their license taken away. The company as a whole can, y'know, keep using the car, but tell me who was driving and punish them. Fire them. I want everyone as high up the chain as the decision making process went to tell me who had what level of involvement in the decision making process, and then I want proportional punishment for those people harming my friends.

I'm tired of businesses being seen as unassailable entities which cannot be held accountable for the harm they did simply because they were doing it in the name of profit. We ain't Ferengi.

Remove ads