Orc as a Club?

Aluvial

Explorer
My hill giant picked up a dead orc last night and used him as a club when the party destroyed his weapon...

What damage do you think would be appropriate for such a medium sized creature?

Aluvial

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Aluvial said:
My hill giant picked up a dead orc last night and used him as a club when the party destroyed his weapon...

What damage do you think would be appropriate for such a medium sized creature?

Aluvial

What was he wearing?

A soft and squishy orc I might put at a simple 1d6. A orc in plate mail, I'd put at 1d8-1d10.

Aluvial

Explorer
splint mail

What about the weight of the orc itself. I mean an average orc has to weigh about 160 - 180 lbs.

An earlier thread today of mine --- Shatter spell question has proposed the wieght of a huge great club at 80 lbs. That is 2d6.

A heavier orc in splint would do about the same if not more wouln't you think???

Aluvial

Shard O'Glase

First Post
at 200lbs if the orc fell 10ft onto somebody it would do 1d6. As a weapon from a hill giant he could probably put out more force than a 10' fall, but a orc isn't built for being a club. He'd bend away from the impact, basically a really ineficient improvised club.

I could see it doing maybe the same damage as the huge great club, but I'd still likely keep it ad 1 die less or 1d10, otherwise why do giants etc use clubs, why don't they just swing livestock at people instead. (Moooo)

Stalker0

Legend
Heavier doesn't always mean better, a golf club should prove that:D

I'd say keep it at 2d6 and give a -4 to attacks for an improvised weapon.

If the orc was wearing armor spikes...

Anyway, that's a -8 penalty to hit. -4 for using an improvised weapon, and another -4 for not having the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (orc). And maybe another -1 or -2 if the orc wasn't wearing metal armor (inferior material). Maybe an attack bonus if the orc was a barbarian (then again, barbarians tend to struggle a lot, throwing off your swing).

Aluvial

Explorer
Well this orc was dead, had an arrow in him...

I used the -4 for improvised weapon but nothing for exotic...

Orcs are pretty common... Especially dead ones when my adventurers are around!

Now if he was swinging around some beholder by the eyestalks, that might be considered exotic...

Aluvial

Sejs

First Post
Yeah, but if he was swinging a beholder by the eyestalks he could make trip attacks like he was using a flail!

Spatzimaus

First Post
So if you swung a big snake, would you get reach? It's like a spiked chain!

How about tossing a Dwarf with an axe? If he hits someone on the way down, is that a ranged attack or a melee attack?

As for the penalties, you wouldn't get a nonproficiency penalty since it's a "natural weapon", you WOULD get the -4 penalty for using something in a way it wasn't intended. Although, there must be something intentional for making Dwarves that shape. Dwarf bowling, anyone?

Remove ads