Special Conversion Thread: Tasked Genies

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about:
Minercunning: This ability grants a miner genie a +4 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps or new construction. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. Minercunning also grants a +4 racial bonus on Search checks to notice valuable mineral deposits and geological hazards, such as veins of ore, unstable rocks, subterranean poison gas and so forth.

If a miner genie comes within 30 feet of unusual stonework, a geological hazard or a mineral deposit it can make a Search check to notice it as if it were actively searching. A miner genie can also use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can.

Miner genie can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.

I like it! But let's drop the "r" and simply call it "Minecunning".

I think so, although I'd prefer something less than complete immunity. Maybe somekind of "stone resistance X" that affects stone weapons and spells with the Earth descriptor?

The similarly-powered erdeen has full immunity, so I think that's OK.

Immunity to Earth (Ex): An erdeen is immune to the detrimental effects of spells with the earth descriptor.

I'd be fine with leaving off the "stone weapons" bit, since a) they're uncommon, and b) I'd rather not create a new DR type.

The SRD cave-in does about two-thirds the damage (8d6 vs 6d10 is 21 vs 22 on average), but I think 8d6 is far more reasonable for a 6 Hit Dice monster.

Nice! Agreed.

Do we want to change the save DC so it is HD and stat based or leave it DC15 live the SRD?

Let's go stat-based, to account for "clever rigging".

It'll need an area and range. If we assume it's circular, 1500 square feet is 43.70 feet in diameter.

Call it 20 ft. radius, with a 30 ft. radius slide zone?

100 foot range?

That all sounds reasonable.

Cleon

Legend
I like it! But let's drop the "r" and simply call it "Minecunning".

I vacillated between Minercunning and Minecunning a couple of times while writing it, so that's fine by me.

The similarly-powered erdeen has full immunity, so I think that's OK.

Immunity to Earth (Ex): An erdeen is immune to the detrimental effects of spells with the earth descriptor.

I'd be fine with leaving off the "stone weapons" bit, since a) they're uncommon, and b) I'd rather not create a new DR type.

Let's do that, it's not like many Earth spells see use in combat.

Let's go stat-based, to account for "clever rigging".

Whichever suits you. I had a slight leaning towards HD+Stat, but it wasn't very strong.

However, if we make it Cha-based, that's a DC of 13, or 2 less than a natural cave-in, implying that the rigging ain't that clever!

+2 racial bonus?

Cleon

Legend
Charisma-based wouldn't make sense anyways; causing the cave-in would be a physical act. How about making it Strength or Constitution based?

I did wonder about making it Str- of Dex-based, but for some reason I was thinking it was a supernatural or spell-like power à la earthquake, so went for Charisma.

Looking at the original description, it doesn't give any indication whether it's Su or Ex, so we could go for a physical stat (although I don't like Con for it).

However the "can collapse any mine shaft they have personally dug with a single blow" suggests it should have a range of the Miner Genie's Reach rather than the 100 ft. I proposed earlier.

Shade

Monster Junkie
However the "can collapse any mine shaft they have personally dug with a single blow" suggests it should have a range of the Miner Genie's Reach rather than the 100 ft. I proposed earlier.

This and Str-based appeal. We should probably also make them immune to cave-ins and collapses, lest they be caught in their own mess.

Shade

Monster Junkie
In that case, we'll need to expand the erdeen's ability...

Immunity to Earth (Ex): A miner genie is immune to the detrimental effects of spells with the earth descriptor. Additionally, it takes no damage from cave-ins or collapses, nor is its movement hampered by these events, rockslides, rubble, or other earth-related effects.

Cleon

Legend
In that case, we'll need to expand the erdeen's ability...

Immunity to Earth (Ex): A miner genie is immune to the detrimental effects of spells with the earth descriptor. Additionally, it takes no damage from cave-ins or collapses, nor is its movement hampered by these events, rockslides, rubble, or other earth-related effects.

Cut out the "these event," bit and it'd read better:

Immunity to Earth (Ex): A miner genie is immune to the detrimental effects of spells with the earth descriptor. Additionally, it takes no damage from cave-ins or collapses, nor is its movement hampered by rockslides, rubble, or other earth-related effects.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

How's this for the cave-in/collapse ability?

Collapse Mine (Su): As a standard(?) action, a miner genie can cause a cave-in or collapse by merely touching a cavern wall. This cave-in or collapse has a 20-foot radius, with a 30-foot-radius slide zone. The save and check DCs are Strength-based (DC 19 for a typical miner genie).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Something funny here. If Dig is (Su), it shouldn't need a spell-level equivalent or CL, right? And if we make it Sp, I'd prefer slightly making the CL the same as the other SLAs.

Not sure how to CR this. It has only 45hp, but the cave-in is higher than CR 8 by itself...

Remove ads