Special Conversion Thread: Tasked Genies

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why not just give them a bunch of automatic languages? I know they don't have a super-impressive Int, but monsters don't follow the usual bonus language rules most of the time.

Cleon

Legend
Why not just give them a bunch of automatic languages? I know they don't have a super-impressive Int, but monsters don't follow the usual bonus language rules most of the time.

Basically, I just wanted to see Speak Languages get some exercise. Very few monsters have that skill.

freyar

'Cause they don't need it! :p Seriously, it's like a lot of the epic feats that are tied to specific class abilities (I'm looking at you, rage). Or the regular feats tied to IUS.

Cleon

Legend
'Cause they don't need it! :p Seriously, it's like a lot of the epic feats that are tied to specific class abilities (I'm looking at you, rage). Or the regular feats tied to IUS.

Those Improved Unarmed Strike have long bothered me.:.-(

I don't mind another skill than Speak Language, it just seemed one of the few creatures were it might be appropriate.

Knowledge (nobility and royalty) and Knowledge (the planes) also seem fitting. Throw those in with Speak Language and we'd get our ten.

Skills: Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Jump, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Ride, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Tumble

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated to Small size.

I gotta go with freyar here and vote "no" on proposition Speak Language.

They probably should have tongues or something similar, but telepathy allows them to converse with any creature with a language anyhow, so it's a bit redundant.

Give 'em as many languages as you'd like, but don't waste any skills on 'em. :)

Excising Speak Language from Cleon's list yields:
Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Jump, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Ride, Sense Motive, Tumble

I'd recommend Gather Information and/or Balance for the remaining skill ranks.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Updated to Small size.

I gotta go with freyar here and vote "no" on proposition Speak Language.

They probably should have tongues or something similar, but telepathy allows them to converse with any creature with a language anyhow, so it's a bit redundant.

Give 'em as many languages as you'd like, but don't waste any skills on 'em. :)

Excising Speak Language from Cleon's list yields:
Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Jump, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Ride, Sense Motive, Tumble

I'd recommend Gather Information and/or Balance for the remaining skill ranks.

Oh very well.:.-(

I was thinking Gather Information might suit them, so shall we use that for the Speak Language alternative?

Skills: Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Jump, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Ride, Sense Motive, Tumble

As for the known languages, I'd just combine all the SRD Genie's languages:

A messenger genie can speak Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Ignan, Infernal and Terran.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Feats: Improved Initiative (B), Weapon Finesse (B), 2 more
Dodge? Mobility? Quick Draw?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Advancement: 4-5 HD (Small), 6-9 HD (Medium)?

Level Adjustment: +6?

freyar

Since they don't have iterative attacks, I don't think Quick Draw is as useful. Let's go with Dodge and Mobility.

CR 2 and advancement are good, though I'd like to add "or by character class." LA is probably right.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Feats: Improved Initiative (B), Weapon Finesse (B), 2 more
Dodge? Mobility? Quick Draw?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Advancement: 4-5 HD (Small), 6-9 HD (Medium)?

Level Adjustment: +6?

Dodge and Mobility are fine by me.

I'm wondering whether they are edging into CR 3. The poison, high fly speed and spell-like abilities make them pretty effective. They can keep their distance and paralyze foes with poisoned darts.

I guess the proposed advancement's OK.

Level Adjustment +6 seems a bit high. I was thinking +4 or +5.

Remove ads