Converting prehistoric creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Seems pretty good to me right there. An idea: Why not make the slam secondary since it doesn't use it much?

Cleon

Legend
Seems pretty good to me right there. An idea: Why not make the slam secondary since it doesn't use it much?

Do you mean secondary as in "a standard attack treated as a secondary weapon" or "full attacks with 2 whips and a (secondary) slam" or "secondary slam as a standard attack, primary slam with Powerful Charge".

The last option might look something like:

Attack: Whip +11 melee (1d6+6) or slam +6 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: 2 whips +11 melee (1d6+6) or slam +11 melee (1d8+9)

A Marrella's slam attack is treated as a secondary weapon when it makes a standard attack, but is not penalized when it makes a full attack or a charge.

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a giant marrella charges, its slam attack deals 2d8+12 points of damage.

freyar

I mean secondary as in the normal definition "Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a –5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a –2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity."

But I suppose you could maybe talk me into no penalty on a charge. I think it should have the penalty on a normal full attack, though.

Cleon

Legend
I mean secondary as in the normal definition "Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a –5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a –2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity."

But I suppose you could maybe talk me into no penalty on a charge. I think it should have the penalty on a normal full attack, though.

So this:

Attack: Whip +11 melee (1d6+6) or slam +6 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: 2 whips +11 melee (1d6+6) or slam +6 melee (1d8+3)

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a giant marrella charges, its slam attack deals 2d8+12 points of damage and is treated as a primary natural weapon (+11 melee).

I could live with that, although I quite liked the "full slam" option.

freyar

Just seems that you might as well make the slam primary in that case. And you're really only supposed to have one (set of) primary weapon(s).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, let's keep it secondary. It can always choose to attack with it as its sole attack if it prefers.

How about giving it improved grab with its whips, and something akin to gnaw where it gets a free charging slam attack (with powerful charge) if it hits with both whips?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, let's keep it secondary. It can always choose to attack with it as its sole attack if it prefers.

How about giving it improved grab with its whips, and something akin to gnaw where it gets a free charging slam attack (with powerful charge) if it hits with both whips?

We've already got far too many creatures with Improved Grab, so I'd rather not add another one. Slamming foes with charging head-butts is its schtick.

Furthermore, I think of Marrella as being more of a scavenger than a predator.

Besides, if its whips have a 10 foot reach how would it have enough distance to charge an opponent it's grabbed with them?

Shade

Monster Junkie
We've already got far too many creatures with Improved Grab, so I'd rather not add another one. Slamming foes with charging head-butts is its schtick.

That's not the strongest argument. That's like saying too many creatures have poison. Improved grab is simply one of those far-too-necessary abilities. Generally, if it has tentacle-like attacks, it'll have improved grab.

Furthermore, I think of Marrella as being more of a scavenger than a predator.

Now that's a better reason. ;)

Besides, if its whips have a 10 foot reach how would it have enough distance to charge an opponent it's grabbed with them?

It wouldn't, under normal charging rules. But there are feats and other abilities that allow "partial charges". Still, I'm fine to drop this idea.

Remove ads