NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d6/1d6
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Charge
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
SIZE: L (12’ long)
MORALE: Average (10)
XP VALUE: 975

From earlier in the article...

To simplify the listings, all creatures will conform to the following AD&D statistics unless otherwise noted:
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Shallow sea floor
DIET: Carnivore/Scavenger
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Day
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
INTELLIGENCE: Animal
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil

All these animals walk or crawl on the bottom of the sea, though some can swim. For game purposes, I’ve assumed that some can come out of the water for short periods of time.

This arthropod looks something like a cross between a trilobite and a centipede. It spends most of its time in the water (the fluffy-looking antennae are gills), but it can spend up to an hour at a time on dry land, and often does so traveling from one body of water to another.

The Marrella attacks by means of its two wiplike antennae, lashing out for 1d6 points of damage each. In addition, a Marrella at least 10’ away from its foe can charge, doing damage through impact with its heavily armored head (2d8 damage points). Attacks on the head are less effective than on the body.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #204 (1994).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, for marella: sounds like 8HD, Large Vermin. Two tentacles/tendrils (for lack of a better term) and powerful charge -- do we need to give it a slam to go with that?

Cleon

Legend
Marrella

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #204 (1994).

These seem pretty straightforward. A Large Vermin with 2 "whip" attacks and a slam, plus Powerful Charge and Water Dependency.

Maybe base the stats on the SRD Giant Stag Beetle?

Cleon

Legend
Ok, for marella: sounds like 8HD, Large Vermin. Two tentacles/tendrils (for lack of a better term) and powerful charge -- do we need to give it a slam to go with that?

Looks like we're cross-posting.

As I indicated earlier, I would prefer a slam attack, just one it doesn't use much except in a charge.

I'm also thinking we should aim for the higher AC value (AC2) rather than the lower AC6.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The higher AC appeals.

I also wonder if we shouldn't give it extended reach, since they went out of their way to point it out in the original.

Cleon

Legend
The higher AC appeals.

I also wonder if we shouldn't give it extended reach, since they went out of their way to point it out in the original.

Not extended, but I was going to go for short-reach with the slam and long-reach with the whips.

Might as well stat something out:

Marrella, Giant
Large Vermin (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 8d8+24 (60 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +9 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Whip +11 melee (1d6+6) or slam +11 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 whips +11 melee (1d6+6) or slam +11 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with whip)
Special Attacks: Powerful charge
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits, water dependency
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 17, Int –, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary, cluster (2-5) or mass (6-24)
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: 9-11 HD (Large); 12-24 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a giant marrella charges, its slam attack deals 2d8+12 points of damage.

Water Dependent (Ex): Marrella can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 4 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).

Remove ads