Magic Missile while blinded

Minifig

First Post
Another example.

You have a guy hiding in a bush... obscuring terrain. You cannot see that enemy, but that doesn't stop you from guessing where that enemy can be, and launching magic in his direction. That bush doesn't stop your magic from working, it merely makes it harder. If they are not actively hiding from you, you can even determine their location within that bush automatically. So you know whereabouts to launch that pew pew magic. You make the attack roll, and the concealment makes it harder to hit them. It does not make it impossible however, you could still get lucky.

Some magics don't require attack rolls tho... a Healing Word ALWAYS works in its target. You don't have to know exactly where they are, you just know who you're targetting and whereabouts they probably are, and the power of magic does the rest for you. Magic Missile is the same... you just need to know what you're trying to damage with it, and whereabouts it is. It is not a precision tool... it is 'fire-and-forget' magic that does the rest for you.

You yourself just said you have to GUESS where the person you're firing at is.

I hate to say it.. but.. that's a perception check.

If you don't perceive there is something out there to attack from the bush... why would you even bother throwing out the magic missile?

Blindness grants -10 against perception.

DracoSuave

First Post

If you don't perceive there is something out there to attack from the bush... why would you even bother throwing out the magic missile?

Blindness grants -10 against perception.

Go to page 273 of your PHB. Read what Line of Effect is. Then go to PHB2, p 223. Read about how perceiving an enemy that is not hidden works.

Then come back here, and try again.

The rules are -very clear- about how this all works. Your confusion stems from reading unrelated rules and assuming how things work. Instead, if you want to know what Line of Effect is, read the section entitled 'LINE OF EFFECT.' If you want to know if you can attack things you cannot see, read the section entitled 'ATTACKING THINGS YOU CANNOT SEE.'

If you want to know how magic missile works, do you read the power 'Reaping Strike?' No.

This ain't rocket surgery, pal.

Minifig

First Post
I think y'all have been trolled, and brilliantly.

Actually, as much as I hate to admit it Truename,
animesweat.gif
, though perhaps it might gain me some respect.. I'm still new to D&D 4e, hence my asking all the questions and raising the debate as much as I have.

I will also openly admit it that it appears that I'm wrong, and I'm glad we've got such a great forum to discuss such things, especially with as screwy as WoTC's wording is in the books. Though, for some reason, it's sorta slow for me.. (loading, reloading and refreshing pages.. not sure if it is for anyone else..) though I'm getting used to it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's magic. It does not need to be directed by your thoughts, or actions, or sight at all.

For fluff:

You call upon the power of magic. Magical power flies out of your hands, and hits your enemy(ies).

Nothing there requires you to target anything. Just think about it as magic that hurts creatures you don't like. Don't think about it as targeting at all. Erase that pre-conception from your mind, then read the power.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
It's been slow for me too.

ENWorld is a great place. It's my go to place for questions. (even when I don't want to hear the right answer. hehe.)

the Jester

Legend
Actually, as much as I hate to admit it Truename,
animesweat.gif
, though perhaps it might gain me some respect.. I'm still new to D&D 4e, hence my asking all the questions and raising the debate as much as I have.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game enough to enjoy a hearty debate about it, and many of us ENWorlders are totally happy to engage in discussions. Ask away, we're happy to help! :D

I will also openly admit it that it appears that I'm wrong, and I'm glad we've got such a great forum to discuss such things, especially with as screwy as WoTC's wording is in the books. Though, for some reason, it's sorta slow for me.. (loading, reloading and refreshing pages.. not sure if it is for anyone else..) though I'm getting used to it.

Yeah, ENWorld has a tendency to occasional bouts of slowdown, but it's often worth the wait. ;)

Edit: All that said, and absolutely conceding that by the RAW magic missile should auto-hit even if you're blinded, I'd still call for a Perception check. That's not the rules, that's a ruling.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Only if you don't know where the person is, which is not automatically a result of blindness in 4e.
It is, if the person is also hiding from you with a stealth check. Otherwise you know where the person is even while blind without needing a perception check. See targeting what you can't see on page 281 PHB1

Minifig

First Post
Edit: All that said, and absolutely conceding that by the RAW magic missile should auto-hit even if you're blinded, I'd still call for a Perception check. That's not the rules, that's a ruling.

Me too.. because to hit something you have to perceive it, and to perceive it's existence, you have to do a perception check.

That just makes logical sense to me, if you're blinded, you'd get the debuff against you too.

Remove ads