The Mystery of The katana

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
So, why are Katanas so popular?

I really don't understand it.

They're nice swords. And I like them, but there are other weapons out there too.

Like the War Maul. This big honking thing that takes a lot of strength to wield and can cave in your ribs with one strike is a pretty awesome weapon too.

Why isn't this thing so popular?

In Conan The Barbarian it smashed through that huge column!

WAR MAULS FOR THE WIN!

So, why are Katanas so popular?

I really don't understand it.

They're nice swords. And I like them, but there are other weapons out there too.

Like the War Maul. This big honking thing that takes a lot of strength to wield and can cave in your ribs with one strike is a pretty awesome weapon too.

Why isn't this thing so popular?

In Conan The Barbarian it smashed through that huge column!

WAR MAULS FOR THE WIN!

Swords are the coolest weapon because you have to draw one. That's intimidating, especially since it can make that cool sounds, and you can draw it in a really intimidating way. (Kind of like whipping off your glasses as an aggressive gesture.) Sometimes I play an axe-wielding fighter, and when I say I "draw my axe" I feel stupid. (And sometimes other players stare at me.)

And then it's Japanese.

I have a confession to make. When I was a little kid, I had the same obsession with ninja and samurai that many other boys had. Only I was a bookworm, so I read up everything I could. And of course, most of the crap I read was inaccurate. But being a kid, I believed everything I read.

So, ninja could climb on ceilings! They would flip out and kill people and then chop tanks with katana! (Actually, I didn't have the internet then, but you get the point. Also, rarely if ever used katana.) They would sneak into castles and kill generals. (Something they rarely did, on the grounds that the general would think of that first.) They would throw metsubishi in your eyes to blind you, or throw a smoke bomb as they escaped. (Partially true, I guess.)

I watched Ninja Turtles obsessively. My favorites were Raphael and Leonardo... the former used sais so sharp they could stick someone's clothing to concrete (real-life sais were blunt and probably not aerodynamic) and the other guy used two katana! (They're actually ninja-to, samurai who dual-wielded were rare, and nowadays I hate the 2e/3.0 ranger class for the imposed dual-wielding.)

Some samurai knew a technique for very quickly drawing a sword and killing their opponent in one badass motion. (Probably useless in a battlefield, but for a duel that's awesome.)

I went to karate lessons, and convinced myself that it was the unarmed version of ninjitsu. (It might even be true, but probably isn't.) I consider myself fortunate I didn't start believing in some bastardized, 90% inaccurate version of "Japanese honor", giving how impressionable kids are!

I think that of thing doesn't entirely wear off. After all, a few years ago, I found myself reading a book called the Samurai Sourcebook (written by a real historian, and it eliminated a bunch of misconceptions; reading the wikipedia article on Ryukyu finally taught me that no, the ninja were not fighting for their homeland). I ended up enjoying it more because it was like reading Romance of Three Kingdoms again; there wasn't even that much stuff about swordfighting in it.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Since ancient times, swords have been as much about their wielders' status as their function as a weapon. And the work that goes into a katana's blade makes it one of the pinnacles of the swotdmaker's craft.

However, I also understand what you're getting at because my PCs use a variety themselves: mauls, axes big & small, flails, daggers, chain weapons and staves of all kinds.

MortonStromgal

First Post
Because they have a point, seriously (the folding didn't hurt either). They could stab through plate (unlike the blunt tips of European swords of the time) I saw it on the history channel. Add movies, myths, etc. Katana is high on the romance level (like Excalibur)

The Shaman

First Post
Highlander.

That's when I remember the obsession with katanas extending beyond the handful of Japanese culture fanbois. I mean, it's a friggin' Scotsman with a katana! That's, like, triple the cool!

S

Sunseeker

Katana's are popular because of the Japan craze that has been sweeping America and some other nations.

IMO, you(the OP) are right that there are a great deal of cooler weapons out there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases