The Mystery of The katana

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Basically, because some people see it as an "I win" button, or because they've got some romanticized notions through entertainment that a katana is the coolest weapon evar.

They've seen some really cool manga or anime or took karate lessons when they were eight or maybe grew up on the Highlander TV series, and despite the plethora of resources for information on the topic, they actually believe that a katana can cut through mountains or split skyscrapers in half. Shows like Deadliest Warrior don't help the situation.

In gaming circles, discussions about the katana can be as bitter and divisive as religion or politics. Some people are convinced that they have magical powers and some people realize that it's nothing more than a piece of steel. Certainly, a well-crafted and finely constructed weapon, but still just a piece of metal that conforms to the same laws of physics that apply in the rest of the world.

When a discussion about the katana begins, it's wise to extract yourself from the conversation as politely as possible (unless, perhaps, you have some history or military buffs, and the discussion is confined to academic or historical details and not popular entertainment). Usually, within ten minutes, someone will so thoroughly demonstrate their ignorance that you wonder how they ever graduated high school. "No, seriously, I saw it on the internet somewhere! A katana can literally slice through a tank and deflect laser-guided missiles! Some dude in World War II used a katana to cut bullets out of the air and chop a plane in half!" Yeah... Just go. There's no interest in facts there.

More germane to gaming, I think that players tend to gravitate toward the katana specifically because they either a) want to emulate some fictional character that used a katana; or b) think that the katana does or should provide some sort of substantial benefit in terms of game mechanics.

In both real life and gaming, my favorite melee weapon is the battleaxe. It has stopping power, is comparatively easy to use, and has a sort of brutal panache that you just don't get from a sword. One of the things that consistently bugs me about gamers is when I'm told that I'm playing the game wrong for using a battleaxe. In approximately half the games where I've played a paladin or an elf, I've been told that I "must" use a sword... Only dwarves or vikings use battleaxes apparently.

One reason they are so popular with gamers is their often outlandish stats based on just being a katana. There are many more cheaply crafted crappy quality versions of these around than can possibly be counted.

The statistics in many game systems must assume that every single katana is a masterwork of the swordmakers craft while any other type of sword available must be of average quality.

In both real life and gaming, my favorite melee weapon is the battleaxe. It has stopping power, is comparatively easy to use, and has a sort of brutal panache that you just don't get from a sword. One of the things that consistently bugs me about gamers is when I'm told that I'm playing the game wrong for using a battleaxe. In approximately half the games where I've played a paladin or an elf, I've been told that I "must" use a sword... Only dwarves or vikings use battleaxes apparently.

It's harder to picture an axe fight. Bernard Cornwell can pull it off well, but in the Warlord Saga (his version of the King Arthur novels), the main character is a spearman who virtually never uses it, and then there's always a brief description. (Badasses with the spear are likewise just given brief descriptions of their prowess.) The main character only gets cool descriptions with a sword.

I guess the inability to draw an axe or spear makes it hard to visualize, and I think people picture inaccurate "Flynning" fights (I don't think you can parry with an axe -- correct me if I'm wrong -- at least not the way you can with a sword). Flyinning is the Rule of Cool.

Kerym Ammath

First Post
Because they have a point, seriously (the folding didn't hurt either). They could stab through plate (unlike the blunt tips of European swords of the time) I saw it on the history channel. Add movies, myths, etc. Katana is high on the romance level (like Excalibur)

If you are talking about the clip with R. Lee Ermey and some dubiously titled martial arts master who completely failed to tell the Gunny he was using the longsword in a completely improper manner sure. The same program where they took a second rate longsword and pitted it against what appeared to be a custom made katana sure.

S

Sunseeker

Because they have a point, seriously (the folding didn't hurt either). They could stab through plate (unlike the blunt tips of European swords of the time) I saw it on the history channel. Add movies, myths, etc. Katana is high on the romance level (like Excalibur)

First off, the Katana and the longsword are two totally different weapons. Both a longsword and a Katana can "stab" through plate, though neither one is actually designed to do so. The katana is a sort of one-hit-wonder weapon, while the longsword is an extended-fight weapon. The Katana is designed for a quick slice, one hit to carve your enemy in twain. It was designed to combat the lesser-protective material of Asias, usually cloth, leather, and light woods, occasionally light metals.

The longsword on the other hand is a blunt weapon for a reason, it is designed to do battle, to crush and to cleave bone. It doesn't so much kill your enemy as beat them to such a state as they are no longer capable for fighting, at which point they often die. You block with a longsword, something you do not do with a katana, longswords were blunt because sharpening them was pointless.(no pun intended).

Also: Never believe the History Channel. It's bad for your brain.

Dausuul

Legend
The katana is meant to deal with unarmored or lightly armored foes, while the longsword is meant to deal with enemies covered in metal. This reflects the fact that Europe had plenty of iron while Japan was metal-poor*.

Thus the katana has a curved blade with a very sharp edge, good for slicing, which is deadly to unarmored flesh but so-so against mail and useless against plate. The longsword is straight, good for stabbing, so that it can punch through mail or slide into an eyeslit. It has a less sharp edge (though I'd hardly call it "dull," you can still cut yourself on it) to hold up better when it hits metal.

It's a bit much to say that you'd beat your enemy to death with a longsword. If the guy isn't wearing armor, you can absolutely score a one-hit kill with it. Maybe not as efficiently or reliably as with a katana, but European martial arts weren't nearly as brutish as they're made out to be.

All bets are off, though, when fighting a guy in full plate; plate armor versus the weapons of the day was about as close as any society has ever gotten to making a soldier personally invincible. You had to either knock the guy silly with a blow to the helmet, find a way to put some incredible force behind your thrust (a charging horse or a crossbow helped), or wrestle him down and pin him so you could drive your blade through a joint or visor. Half-swording, the practice of gripping your sword halfway up the blade with your free hand, was one way of accomplishing the latter, as was using a stiletto or the like. For knocking him silly, you'd switch the sword around and bash him with the hilt--this is a recognized technique in medieval "fechtbuchs."

And a knight in plate with a longsword, versus a samurai with a katana? Good luck with that "stabbing through plate" plan. That's a great way to get your fancy slicey sword broken in half. Me, I'm putting all my chips on the knight.

[size=-2]*Does this mean they use katanas in Dark Sun?[/size]

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Something I would point out here. European swords certainly didn't have blunt tips. One common maneuver was to grab your sword halfway up the blade and stab straight forward, similar to using a spear. Katana are slashing weapons and would certainly not be a very good weapon against European plate armor.

Particularly if the other guy had a shield.

The ARMA website has loads, and loads, and more loads of information about this sort of thing if you want to get the facts.

Flynning, as (Psi)SeveredHead is the rule of cool. The problem is, most of the time, swords were a dueling weapon, not a battlefield one. Often it was the weapon of last resort after your other weapons got lost or broken. Not always, but, often. While Roman Legionaires certainly carried swords, it was spears in battle that they used. The sword was for finishing someone off.

But, the other point that got brought up - Katanas do more damage than anything else - is probably the number one reason why they get used so much in RPG's. Why wouldn't you? Totally unrealistic, but, understandable why players would go for them.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
With the katana's origins, it was a cavalry sword for a 'ride by attack' on a charge. The curved blade allowed the rider to strike the opponent and not lose his sword. Using a straight sword in a charge would hit its target and be pulled out of the riders hand.

The curve does make slicing easier, and it only faced lamellar armor in battle at best, so the needs of the Japanese warrior were very different from their European counterparts.

While I think the katana is a superior sword, much of its mystique, I think, is the same as the Japanese mystique. Being a country of sword wielding, Asian exotica, whose feudal period ended in the mid 1800's. To the rest of the world Japan seemed an fantasy, out of time kind of place. Old traditions only 'recently' replaced in its modern era.

While the long sword's era was 600+ years ago.

GP

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I don't understand why crossbows aren't more popular.
Pope once banned crossbows because they are just too much. Nobody ever banned katanas... And if the Pope had ban katanas, it means that they are cool like condoms and gay-marriage. Katanas however belong to the less prestigious non-banned category.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Because crossbows and axes aren't romanticized.

Bows and katanas just had better PR. Hell, most of the "code of bushido" and the idea of the romanticized samurai with his epic breathless duals and katanas of destruction...were invented wholesale in the 19th/20th century. The katana was very literally the subject of good PR.

Remove ads