Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Shade

Monster Junkie
Grand idea! Updated.

Since the Gargantuan lacked the Improved Initiative prereq, I dropped one of its Epic Toughness feats to meet it.

The original had treasure type O, which is essentially incidental coins: 10-40 cp, 10-30 sp.

Environment: x
In Ravenloft, they wander The Nightmare Lands. For generic setting, maybe Negative Energy Plane?

And now for the tough part: CRs:

Medium: 3?
Large: 4?
Huge: 9?
Gargantuan: 14? (Same as the equal size and HD Necronaut)
Colossal: 25?

Cleon

Legend
Grand idea! Updated.

Since the Gargantuan lacked the Improved Initiative prereq, I dropped one of its Epic Toughness feats to meet it.

Oops! Swapping another Toughness is fine by me.

The original had treasure type O, which is essentially incidental coins: 10-40 cp, 10-30 sp.

24% coins?

Environment: x
In Ravenloft, they wander The Nightmare Lands. For generic setting, maybe Negative Energy Plane?

I'm tempted by "Any land or Negative Energy Plane".

And now for the tough part: CRs:

Large: 4?
Gargantuan: 14? (Same as the equal size and HD Necronaut)
Colossal: 25?

The Large seems too low and the Colossal too high, but the others look OK to me. They don't have much in the way of special defences.

Large: 5?
Gargantuan: 14?
Colossal: 19-21?

Oh, and the Colossal version doesn't have the correct saves. Fort +21, Ref +21, Will +34

Shade

Monster Junkie
24% coins?

Well, that's a tad nonstandard! ;) I suppose "20% coins" could work, although I don't really see the justification for any treasure on 'em.

I'm tempted by "Any land or Negative Energy Plane".

Since they're extraplanar, the norm is to just list the plane. "Any land" is generally implied if no specific terrain type is specified, but we can be explicit in the flavor text if you desire.

The Large seems too low and the Colossal too high, but the others look OK to me. They don't have much in the way of special defences.

Large: 5?
Gargantuan: 14?
Colossal: 19-21?

CR 5 for Large and 21 for Colossal seems reasonable.

Oh, and the Colossal version doesn't have the correct saves. Fort +21, Ref +21, Will +34

Updated.

Cleon

Legend
Well, that's a tad nonstandard! ;) I suppose "20% coins" could work, although I don't really see the justification for any treasure on 'em.

It was supposed to be 25% but my finger slipped. As for the justification... all those absorbed corpses were carrying coin pouches.:p

Since they're extraplanar, the norm is to just list the plane. "Any land" is generally implied if no specific terrain type is specified, but we can be explicit in the flavor text if you desire.

Negative Plane's fine.

Cleon

Legend
Updated. All that remains (methinks) is weight. Didn't you guys figure that out upthread?

I thought we just assumed they had the standard weight ranges (e.g. Large 500 to 4000 pounds) and figured out how many bodies that's the weight of, and decided that a HD calculation based on the number of absorbed bodies was impractical.

I'd set the Medium to a starting weight of two Medium-sized humanoid corpses, say 300 pounds, and not that the weight of larger specimens is mostly phantom.

A Medium lost soul is 5 to 6 feet tall and weighs around 300 pounds, the typical weight of two Medium-sized humanoid corpses.

Big lost souls are far heavier than the total weight of the corpses they are formed from, for they conjure additional flesh created from soil and shadow-stuff, using processes similar to the create food and drink and shadow evocation spells. For example, a Huge lost soul weighs between 4,000 and 32,000 pounds and contains from 26 to 56 corpses. That many corpses would typically weigh between 4,000 and 8,500 pounds, any extra weight is conjured flesh, which evaporates or crumbles to dust if the lost soul is destroyed.

Remove ads