Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think so, but we might need to adjust as we work out the different stat blocks. It's certainly a good place to start.

Cleon

Legend
I think so, but we might need to adjust as we work out the different stat blocks. It's certainly a good place to start.

I'll update the working draft with Absorb Corpse then.

As for the "single zombie" version, the text suggests these don't attack people, but just wander about until they find another Lost Soul to merge with.

As such, we might be able to get away with saying they have standard human skeleton stats.

I wouldn't use the SRD Zombie because Lost Souls are as fast as humans and a standard human zombie would have more hit points than a basic Lost Soul, due to the Zombie's 2HD and Toughness bonus feat (HD 2d12+3 vs HD 2d12+2).

Plus, the Skeleton has claws like a lost soul does.

Although that makes me think, should we give a Lost Soul any Damage Reduction?

Cleon

Legend
I've made the update.

I've also changed the name from "Zombie Lost Soul" to "Corporeal Lost Soul", since "Zombie" might become confusing.

Where are we going to add the stats for a "single-body lost soul"? Make it an underbar?

New Lost Souls
Most lost souls are an amalgamation of multiple bodies, but a newly created consists of a single animated corpse. Such "single body" lost souls resemble zombies, but have the same stats as a human commoner skeleton with a lost soul's Absorb Corpse special ability, except that have DR 5/slashing instead of 5/bludgeoning?. They have none of a regular lost souls' other special attacks (fear, gnaw, improved grab) or qualities (all-around vision, fast healing, unholy toughness).

A new lost soul will instinctively seek out other lost souls to merge with, so they rarely stay single-bodied for long.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think I was misunderstood upthread. While I agreed to the name "Absorb Corpse" and the basic premise, I still think we need to explain at what point it becomes Large (and probably Huge) as it adds additional bodies.

I've attached its picture to help put it in perspective.

Attachments

• LostSoul.jpg
    LostSoul.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,506

Cleon

Legend
I think I was misunderstood upthread. While I agreed to the name "Absorb Corpse" and the basic premise, I still think we need to explain at what point it becomes Large (and probably Huge) as it adds additional bodies.

I've attached its picture to help put it in perspective.

Well it increases in size as it gains hit dice through Absorb Corpse according to its Advancement entry, which is currently "3-5 HD (Medium); 6-8 HD (Large)".

The original had 2-8 HD at 1 HD per corpse, but that picture sure looks like they can get Huge or bigger, and there seems to be a sight more than 8 corpses in the mix.

How about going up to Gargantua. I'm thinking of keeping the +4 HD for the first size increase, suggesting something like:

3-5 HD (Medium); 6-9 HD (Large); 10-15 HD (Huge); 16-24 HD (Gargantua)

Is that all right by you?

Cleon

Legend
I've made the update.

I've also changed the name from "Zombie Lost Soul" to "Corporeal Lost Soul", since "Zombie" might become confusing.

Where are we going to add the stats for a "single-body lost soul"? Make it an underbar?

New Lost Souls
Most lost souls are an amalgamation of multiple bodies, but a newly created consists of a single animated corpse. Such "single body" lost souls resemble zombies, but have the same stats as a human commoner skeleton with a lost soul's Absorb Corpse special ability, except that have DR 5/slashing instead of 5/bludgeoning?. They have none of a regular lost souls' other special attacks (fear, gnaw, improved grab) or qualities (all-around vision, fast healing, unholy toughness).

A new lost soul will instinctively seek out other lost souls to merge with, so they rarely stay single-bodied for long.

Any preferences for the "single body" lost souls and the DR/slashing question?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well it increases in size as it gains hit dice through Absorb Corpse according to its Advancement entry, which is currently "3-5 HD (Medium); 6-8 HD (Large)".

The original had 2-8 HD at 1 HD per corpse, but that picture sure looks like they can get Huge or bigger, and there seems to be a sight more than 8 corpses in the mix.

How about going up to Gargantua. I'm thinking of keeping the +4 HD for the first size increase, suggesting something like:

3-5 HD (Medium); 6-9 HD (Large); 10-15 HD (Huge); 16-24 HD (Gargantua)

Is that all right by you?

I'd rather it go Large faster (two people side by side have a space of 10 ft. in D&D terms).

Also, I still think we need to actually have stat blocks at each size.

Cleon said:
Any preferences for the "single body" lost souls and the DR/slashing question?

If we have stat blocks for each size, we can easily add a "single body" version at the beginning.

I'd support DR/slashing.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I thought we'd already settled on having separate stat blocks for different sizes. I think it's the best way to keep them balanced and DM-friendly. Plus we can think about adding new abilities at bigger sizes.

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, let's rework this.

After reading through it again, the weakest lost soul is clearly 4+4 HD. The original allows it to "grow" 4 times, gaining a total of 4 more HD and 4 more attacks. Although the text at one point contradicts the stat block and other text on number of claws, I think regardless of the starting number, it makes sense to gain 2 claw attacks with each merging (each individual "zombie" has 2 hands). I'd suggest we retain the original ratio, but allow for greater HD growth. Following that logic...

4 HD = Medium = 1 lost soul = 2 claws
8 HD = Large = 2 merged lost souls = 4 claws
12 HD = Huge = 3 merged lost souls = 6 claws
16 HD = Gargantuan = 4 merged lost souls = 8 claws

Fast healing could improve by 2 at each size increase. DR would improve at some point, but not necessarily each time.

Obviously, "absorb corpse" would need to be modified to account for these changes. For simplicity's sake, if two lost souls of different sizes merge, it would be easiest to add the total HD and find the closest size match.

Added the first two sizes to Homebrews.

Last edited:

Remove ads